Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

My 4 year old has a broken molar and it has a cavity and the

Customer Question

My 4 year old has a broken molar and it has a cavity and the dentist said we need to do a baby root canal with a cap. I'm scared. Is this what we should do? My sister is a hygienist and she said to extract it with a spacer but I worry about her not having a tooth to chew with and the space for 7 years.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question on Just Answer!
Good question/s.
Neither your sister, nor the dentist is wrong here. The reason is both methods - work about equally as well as the other, and costs for both, are relatively about the same as well.
The method the dentist suggested may likely be a bit less traumatic for you son however. Generally just one appointment, and no extraction of the tooth (could be a bit less stressful on your son). The extraction & spacer can possibly be done in one visit too, but many dentists will do them in two appointments. So, you may want to: ***** ***** dental office how many dental visits per procedure/s? And weigh that out in your mind.
And, while your sister's choice is a fine choice too, if you still are confused, you could and perhaps should get a second opinion from another dentist as well.
The bot***** *****ne: I believe either choice will work good for you & your son.
NOTE: He may need a mild sedative, which any dentist should be able to prescribe prior to the dental visit. And, don't worry too much - as these procedures are quite common.