Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My uncle has a bad tooth infection and really wants to start

Customer Question

My uncle has a bad tooth infection and really wants to start treatment ASAP - I have three macrobid pills and I didn't know if they would help until he could see a dentist tomorrow, just to have some antibiotic in his system, please let me know?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Macrobid will really not be effective against the bacterial infection in your uncles mouth.If your uncle has significant swelling,it would be better to call your dentist or oral surgeon's emergency number and have them call the appropriate antibiotic into the pharmacy for you.The antibiotic of choice would be Clindamycin 300 mg every six hours,Penicillin Vk 500 mg every six hours or Amoxicillin 500 mg every eight hours.Most dentists have a 24 hour number to call. The ER will not provide any dental treatment but will be able to prescribe antibiotics and pain medicine.This will be more expensive than calling your dentist though.Remember that it will take 48 to 72 hours for the antibiotic to begin to show its effects.If you need more information please ask.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
I am going to sign off for the night.If you need more information, let me know and I will check in the morning for your response.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else that I can help you with?