Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

My grandson has woke up crying with his tooth hurting. He has

Customer Question

My grandson has woke up crying with his tooth hurting. He has has surgery on these teeth and it is one of the metal ones that is hurting . Please advise me what I can do .
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has gone back to sleep, pain medicine I gave him seems to be working for the time being. If he should wake back up, I will contact you again. I am not interested in signing up for a free trail . At this time, no charge should be made to my credit card.
***** *****
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.
Hello, no problem Sarah.
The stainless steel crowns (sadly) do cause some temporary trauma and hence discomfort/pain unfortunately. The good news, is given a few days time, the pain WILL subside.
Should your grandson awaken, or have yet another episode of pain, you may want to consider getting some (over the counter) benzocaine. It is available in different percentage of concentrations - but I'd suggest getting the highest you can get - 20% benzocaine. Available at most drug stores and Walmart, etc. There are different companies that make it, and the medicine goes by different names (Anbesol being one of the more common names). But, you can apply the benzocaine ointment with a q-tip, as often as needed. It will numb the gums for about a half of an hour (often long enough for your little guy to hopefully fall asleep).
You sound like a super grandma. Hopefully this might help you, should he awake again or for tommorrow.
Best wishes to you Sarah (- :
Dr. Rampton