Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I was put on a antibiotic tooth nerve infection and was

Customer Question

I was put on a antibiotic for a tooth nerve infection and was told I needed a root canal - The infection is gone and the tooth feels fine - Do I still need the root canal
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like
If the tooth seems fine now, then there really isn't a reason to get the root canal at this time. Only if there's a persistent toothache or infection would the procedure be indicated
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
When a tooth is infected,there are two treatment options,root canal therapy or extraction.Antibiotics cannot cure an infected tooth like they can cure an infected finger.This tooth will remain infected.The antibiotic will only stop the infection from spreading temporarily.The reason for this is that the antibiotic cannot penetrate the infected pulp chamber of the tooth and the infected debris inside the chamber will continue to produce more bacteria and the swelling will return.I am sorry ,but you were given misinformation from the previous expert