Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

Approximately a week ago the bottom part of my right cheek

Customer Question

hi, approximately a week ago the bottom part of my right cheek inside and on the skin as well as the gum tissue and skin that is between the gum line and cheek has been hurting. I went to the dentist who saw nothing said it was possibly and abrasion and would go away on its own. The next day it did not feel any better and i went to my endodontist and as it was a root canaled tooth. He said the tooth looked fine but i had plaque and a since the gum was tender to touch he gave me 3 shots of novicane and cleaned around the tooth. He also gave me antibiotics (2 times per day) and i have taken 6 doses so far. The area in still hurting and very tender if the cheek is pressed and I can not sleep on that side on the pillow. Is it possible that that the antobiotics just need more time? Thank you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
any other medical issues?
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and "yes" it is very possible that ample time has not yet been given to have the antibiotic, really perform to it's fullest extent yet. So, I'd wait a few more days.
This what I would do: As mentioned, give it some more time. But, if it is not improving by the time another week goes by, I would then see another either the same, or another "ENDODONTIST". Why? 90% of all root canals work well. About 10%, or so, do have secondary problems. Your root canal, "could" be one of those in the 10%... Hopefully not, but given some time & taking the antibiotics - you should soon KNOW if you are either improving or not. If not, see a good Endodontist. As the root canal, "may" need additional assistance, such as an apicoectomy or retrograde filling, etc....
I hope this helps you. You are doing the right thing now, keep taking the antibiotics!
I hope you indeed get feeling better speedily!!!
Dr. Rampton