Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have horrible dental anxiety and am scheduled to have my

Customer Question

I have horrible dental anxiety and am scheduled to have my wisdom teeth extracted next month. I have been told that the lower right wisdom tooth is impacted, and will be more difficult to remove. They are not going to put me under general anesthesia, though they state that they will give me nitrous oxide. Is it inappropriate for me to ask for something to relieve my anxiety before the appointment? If not, how would I go about asking them?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Most oral surgeons in the country have been trained in various types of anesthesia techniques ranging from oral sedatives to general anesthesia.Having nitrous oxide alone for an impacted wisdom tooth if you have alot of anxiety will normally not provide the amount of sedation necessary to relieve your anxiety.In most cases we use a combination of drugs given Intravenously to provide a better,safer more controlled and more pleasant way of having the procedure done.If your surgeon does not offer IV sedation,you should find one that does.If you want to stick with the nitrous,it is certainly appropriate to ask for some oral sedative prior to the appointment.All you have to do is ask.If your dentist is not certified to provide IV sedation, if you let me know the state that you are in and the nearest major city ,I can direct you to some qualified oral surgeons that can provide this service which may make your experience more pleasant.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Is there any more information that I can provide for you?