Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

My husband has an 8 tooth fixed bridge. About half of one

Customer Question

My husband has an 8 tooth fixed bridge. About half of one of the front teeth has broken off several times and been repaired. The last time the dentist said she could not fix it again and not it has happened. Is it possible to replace a single tooth on a fixed bridge?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
If you could possibly send a picture, I feel I could better answer your question - alright? Thank you.
*You can refer to these step-by-step instructions to upload your photo: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Alternatively, you can just use an external photo sharing site like www.imgur.com and copy-paste the URL of the image here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have added a photo - hope it comes through. Thanks, Jenny
Good picture!
Here is what I would do/recommend:
Call around some Dental offices. Tell the receptionist answering the phone, that your husbands (8) unit bridge has some porcelain that has come off, and needs a Dentist experienced with (silane & composite repairs) being added to existing fixed bridges! Pronouncing silane, the "i" is long and the "e" is silent.
Why I suggest you tell the receptionist what you want up front is it should abbreviate a possible prolonged conversation. So just ask:
If the Dentist does repairs with "silane and composite" being added to an existing bridge of your husbands'.
I think you'll find someone who feels competent to repair such. However, not all Dentist do it, so calling around first, can save you some foot work & also you can possibly compare costs somewhat as well! I hope this helps you.
Dr. Rampton
*Here is an article that discusses the fixing of such a tooth - but it's kind of a boring read (not imperative that you read it.
Good picture!
Here is what I would do/recommend:
Dr. Rampton
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/expert/qa.aspx?rpt=1350&T=15347714#ixzz3cbh6igCG
Sorry, here is the reading material: http://d3e9u3gw8odyw8.cloudfront.net/repairing_porcelain.pdf
One last thing, pronouncing silane, the "a" is also long, as is the "i"---
Sorry about all of the duplicate messages?!?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much - we will try that. His former dentist developed something himself (since retired) and it stayed for several years. Current dentist has fixed it 3 times with no long lasting results. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have printed the article and will read it as well as my husband. Tx
Certainly, you are most welcome.
It's called a sIlAne (the I and A are pronounced long, and the E is silent) and composite repair to an existing porcelain fused to metal(PFM) bridge.
And, not all Dentist do those types of repairs.
All the best to you. Please DO "rate" my answer, when you have a moment. Thank you!
Hello Ma'am,
Were you able to get your husband's tooth repaired on his bridge?