Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

My name is ***** ***** I had a wisdom tooth pull out last

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I had a wisdom tooth pull out last Wednesday n i'm still hurting n out of pain meds n I call my dentist n they cant see me till wed. but till then wat am I guna do bout the pain ....should I go to the hospital?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi Elaine, sorry you are still hurting after the extraction.
No need to run to the hospital for this problem.
Since your dentist cannot see you until Wednesday and you are out of pain medications you can alternate every 3-4 hours between 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg). Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease. This should help you with the pain until your dentist sees you to assess your situation. depending on the difficulty of the extraction having some discomfort for a few days is common but should be getting better after 5-7 days.
If you have any swelling you should use warm slat water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours.
Does this make sense to you?