Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Swallowed a doxycycline - it is stuck and dissolving slowly

Customer Question

swallowed a doxycycline - it is stuck and dissolving slowly in my throat. Painful. What can I do?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

I would like to get a positive rating from you so if you are not completely satisfied with my answers please let me know. Thanks! Hi, Doxycycline is known to become stuck in the throat temporarily and when it does it causes an inflammation of the esophagus because it will cause an acidic response that irritates and burns the lining wall. It is this burn like feeling that is painful and makes it feel the medication is still stuck in your throat. It normally heals on its own in a few days. You can however try an acid suppressant like Pepcid or Zantac which may help with the discomfort. Eat only softer foods for now and if by Monday or Tuesday you are still in pain you would need to call your physician for a look see. Hope this helps!

Hi, just following up to see if you are doing better??
Thanks.