Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Had first stage of implant work done two weeks ago. Pain started

Customer Question

Had first stage of implant work done two weeks ago. Pain started to go away but is now coming back. Just a dull ache. Also have found little hard bumps low on the gums.
They are not painful, but have just appeared.
Should I be using ice pacs again on jaw?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Ice packs will do no good at this stage.What you are seeing is some of the grafting material that is being sloughed off and not taking.Some of the grafting material ends up this way .The majority of it should still be in place.The material sometimes will push itself through the gumline or be resorbed.You are in no real danger.I would set up an appointment with your dentist if the pain increases because without an xray of the area,I cannot tell you if anything else is going on.From your description though it does not sound serious and your need to do anything else at this point,is unnecessary.Signs of problems would be swelling and redness in the area.