Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I have a large swelling on my gum above my right canine tooth.

Customer Question

I have a large swelling on my gum above my right canine tooth. It hurts when I touch it but has no pus in it. I went to the dentist last week and had no cavities but this came up yesterday and seems to be getting worse
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for putting your trust in me at Just Answer!

It sounds like an abscess (sad to say). And even though you just went to the Dentist recently, they may/may not have taken x-rays. A specific x-ray would show if it were abscesses for certain, although it sounds like it "likely" is. You need one or two "PA" x-rays that show the root tip of the canine of the tooth which you speak. Your Dentist may have taken x-rays, and it may not have showed the root tip on such x-rays, and that is NOT uncommon. As Dental personnel are trying to get ALL angle, and with minimum x-rays, so occasionally the root tip of the canines are missed. I could explain the logistics of why such areas such as the root tip of cuspids are sometimes not seen as well, but that is likely not the important thing now.

What would I do? Although you recently were at the Dentist, I would call them, and schedule to pop in for (minimally) a PA or two (x-ray/s) of the root tip of your canine. Your Dentist will LIKELY be able to tell you within minutes if the tooth is developing an abscess or not. Hopefully it is not. But, if it is, the world is not over, and the abscess can be fixed, if it should have such. So, I would highly reccomend, to call & schedule for an x-ray tomorrow. And I wish you the very best!

If you should have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate - OK?
Does the above make sense Ma'am?

Hello Stephanie,

Is the swelling doing better?

Dr. Rampton