Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Dr. I need your help. I always while I talk and this has

Customer Question

Dr. I need your help. I always spit while I talk and this has been so embarrassing to me when I see people wipe their faces when I talk. what is more frustrating is that, I am working as a cashier and it a resent occurrence . I have no insurance as at now to see a doctor because I just came into the country so your help is desperately needed. Thanks in advance
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer, and requesting me personally to answer it.
Your problem is due to excess of saliva. Excess saliva could be because of:
1. Excess production of saliva: This is called as sialorrhoea. Salivary secretion can be reduced by certain types of medication, like anti-histaminic drugs. However, the cause for the excess production of saliva must be found out first. In most cases saliva production increases when there is a foreign body in the oral cavity. It can also increase in some salivary gland diseases and as a side effect of some medications. I suggest you see a dentist or a physician ASAP, so that you can get a prescription to reduce your salivary secretions. If your insurance situation does not allow you to immediately do so, then you can purchase any OTC anti-allergic drug, it will have the same effect.
2. Poor muscular control: Your salivary production may be within normal limits, but your muscle tone might be less than adequate.Once your dentist gives you a clean bill of health as fas as saliva volume goes, then you can consult a speech therapist for improving your muscle tone.
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.
Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!
Regards,
Dr Behere