Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

After six months of forcing

Customer Question

After six months of forcing my son to brush his teeth to remove the plaque buildup, last January the plaque came off the two front upper teeth, but near the top of each one there was like a yellow hollow depression, like a cavity. So I bought from Europe one of those kits to DIY. Worked fine, but since then, like a extra layer of enamel has grown. Much of the one tooth and 3/4 of the second tooth? He is 32 yrs old. with a learning disability and afraid of all doctors. Any idea?
Thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.
Hello-- I'm Mark Bornfeld, DDS. Welcome, and thank you for putting your trust in me!
Although your efforts are well-intentioned, it is unlikely (unless you yourself are a dentist) have either the equipment or diagnostic and treatment skills to detect or treat dental disease. In the absence of a formal diagnostic exam, there is no way to know whether there are far more extensive issues in your son's mouth that are just not as conspicuous as those you cite here. In short, do-it-yourself dentistry is a poor substitute for the real thing, and a different strategy would be more in keeping with your son's well-being.
I would recommend that you contact either a local dental school, or the office of a local pediatric dentist. Either resource should be able to provide you with guidance as to a facility or practice that is capable of managing your son's phobic avoidance of dental treatment. This is the way your efforts should be directed, because nothing else will come close to getting the dental care he needs to maintain his health.
Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SORRY BUT THAT WAS A SAFE ANSWER AND NOT WHAT IT COULD BE, OR WHAT CAUSED IT?
WAS IT THE KIT? DENSEAL II...
PICS BEFORE AND AFTER...
HE WON'T LET ME TAKE A PIC OF IT NOW?
HIS DISABILITY MAKES IT VERY HARD FOR ME TO WORK WITH HIM.
I WILL HAVE TO WORK ON A BETTER SCENARIO FOR YOU.
BUT YOUR ANSWER IS SAFE AND NOT ANSWERED.
Thank you for the photographs-- they show conspicuous decay on all four of your son's upper incisor teeth. These lesions will require formal dental intervention; they are not amenable to conservative treatment with an over the counter kit.
I must reiterate: your son needs to see a dentist. The options I provided above are the best way to prevent those cavities from deepening and causing infection. Delay will only serve to make the treatment you son needs more lengthy, invasive, and expensive. If need be, your son can receive sedation or other means of allaying his anxiety, and a proper venue for his treatment will allow these efforts to go smoothly. If you have difficulty managing your son's health needs, you might also wish to seek out assistance from a social worker or contact your local social services authority.
Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU FOR NOW,,,
THE PROBLEM I AM RETIRED AND HE IS ON DISABILITY AND NO DENTAL COVERAGE.
IT IS A LONG STORY.
WISH I COULD GET HIM TO TAKE ANOTHER PIC OF NOW FOR YOU.
THEN I COULD WORK WITH HIM MORE, HE WON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU HAVE SAID CAUSE HE WON'T SEE A DENTIST EVEN IF I HAD COVERAGE. IT IS A PROBLEM.
TAKE THE DEPOSIT SO GET SOMETHING FOR YOUR TIME CAUSE WE ARE STRAPPED FOR CASH.
THANKS SIR
Still, if you have not already done so, I would encourage you to contact your local governmental social services agency. A social worker will be able to provide psychiatric and other services for your son, and even dental coverage if he qualifies for Medicaid.
Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
UMMMM,,,
I ASKED YOU TO TAKE THE DEPOSIT IT SAID $5.00 ?
LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT $17?
I DID NOT WANT TO HIT NOT SATISFIED TO HURT YOU?
I AM DISAPPOINTED
This is an automated debit procedure; I will contact a moderator that you request a refund.
Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
REALLY,,, THANK YOU