Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

There, my mum had a tooth extracted over 5 weeks ago. She

Customer Question

Hi there, my mum had a tooth extracted over 5 weeks ago. She ha had so many problems since, she's been in a lot of pain, had 3 courses of antibiotics and now has potential 'fractured bone'. The socket is starting to heal but the gum is still inflammed and she is unable to sleep. I'm really concerned as the pain is really affecting her. She saw her dentist again yesterday they took an x-ray and couldnt see anything and have said to come back in 2 weeks if she's still in pain to have a scan. She says it's a constant throbbing pain and painkillers don't help. Is there anything you can suggest?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
I would get a CT scan for the region as all the abnormalities may not be appreciated on a x ray. CT scan would also help see for sinuses{from where she may get referred pain}.
Best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this, i will get her to push for the CT scan asap.
Is there any pain relief you can suggest she can't take ibuprofen as it hurts her stomach.

Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.
She may try paracetamol or may need narcotic analgesics.
Best