Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Have a Pink spot on my tongue. Need to know what this is??

Customer Question

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
To help me make a better diagnosis, can you upload a photo of that area here?
You can refer to these step-by-step instructions to upload your photo: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Alternatively, you can just use an external photo sharing site like www.imgur.com and copy-paste the URL of the image here.
Regards,
Dr. Behere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
attached
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry, but that is too small a photo to be of diagnostic quality. Please take another one with a good phone camera at the highest resolution possible.
Regards,
Dr. Behere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this photo is ok.
If you don't have any symptoms, like soreness or burning, then it is just an area of depapillation that can occur normally as well.
The reason for his can be excessive friction , for example that caused due to aggressive tongue cleaning.
It will heal on its own with time. It is nothing serious and requires no treatment or investigations.
If this pink area appears and then disappears and then appears again in a new place on the tongue, then it is a condition called as benign Migratory Glossitis. Which is also harmless and requires no intervention.
However, if that area is ore and burning, then there could be a problem. There are a lot of possible causes for soreness of the tongue. Without a proper history and physical, I can point out the most likely ones:
- a fungal infection
- a nutritional deficiency
-a reaction to spicy foodstuff or vinegar
- glossitis (inflammation of the tongue) caused due to a viral infection
- Burning Mouth Syndrome due to stress and other psychosomatic factors
- oral mucosal conditions like Erosive Lichen Planus .
For now, start taking multivitamins, particularly folic acid supplements. Do not gargle with Listerine or any such mouthwash.
If the soreness persists for more than 2 weeks, see a dentist. If you stay near a dental school, I suggest you visit the Orofacial Pain/Oral Medicine department there .A full assessment is required to eliminate any underlying cause.
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.
Good Luck !
Regards,
Dr. Behere