Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.
Pain is not the only reason why root canals are done. Let me point out several situations where root canals are required in the absence of pain:
1. Fractured teeth or when there is a past history of trauma to the teeth
2. When teeth start darkening in color
3. When teeth have a large cavity
untreated for years and the pulp
inside the tooth is already dead (Pulp Necrosis)
4. When teeth are to be used as abutments for a bridge
5. When there is extreme dentinal hypersensitivity that does no subside on coating with cements
or any other means
6. When teeth have extremely large old fillings
Without seeing your teeth/making X rays, I cannot say for sure if your teeth lie in either of these above mentioned categories.
One thing I can say is please don't go by whatever anecdotal "word-of-mouth" advice you have heard against root canals! Hundreds of thousands of root canals are very successfully done every day all around the world and have become the mainstay of restoration
If there was no root canal treatment, half the world would be without teeth !
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.
Good Luck !