Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I have a apt this morning to have 3 root canals on my 3 front

Customer Question

I have a apt this morning to have 3 root canals on my 3 front teeth! i have a very good care credit line, and they know that and i think they might be trying to upcharge me by root canals vs a filing! i don't believe it has reached the nerve i have no pain and the Dr said root canal before even looking at my teeth! also, was told from " word of mouth' that root canals are not very good that i should just veneers can u please give me a 2ed opinion a.s.a.p please
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.
Pain is not the only reason why root canals are done. Let me point out several situations where root canals are required in the absence of pain:
1. Fractured teeth or when there is a past history of trauma to the teeth
2. When teeth start darkening in color
3. When teeth have a large cavity untreated for years and the pulp inside the tooth is already dead (Pulp Necrosis)
4. When teeth are to be used as abutments for a bridge
5. When there is extreme dentinal hypersensitivity that does no subside on coating with cements or any other means
6. When teeth have extremely large old fillings
Without seeing your teeth/making X rays, I cannot say for sure if your teeth lie in either of these above mentioned categories.
One thing I can say is please don't go by whatever anecdotal "word-of-mouth" advice you have heard against root canals! Hundreds of thousands of root canals are very successfully done every day all around the world and have become the mainstay of restoration of teeth.
If there was no root canal treatment, half the world would be without teeth !
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.
Good Luck !
Regards,
Dr. Behere