Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Dear Dr. I had aprocedure done 6 years ago it was an apico i think where the specialistcut

Customer Question

Dear Dr. I had aprocedure done 6 years ago it was an apico i think where the specialistcut the gum above the tooth and cut the nerve. He told me that their is a 50/50 chance of complete healing. I been having pain only when i touch the bottom of the tooth. The tooth is in the front. My Gum above the tooth is very sensitive to the touch. My Dentist recommend 2 Procedures 1 Dental Implant 2 A bridge. I cant afford it right now what can i do to lessen the discomfort.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.
I would like to get a positive rating from you so if you are not completely satisfied with my answers please let me know. Thanks!
Hi, it does sound as if the apicoectomy is failing and that you now have an active infection at the tip of your root.
First you should call your dentist for a prescription for antibiotics. Either Clindomycin or Amoxicillin would be the drugs of choice for a dental infection. You should also begin using warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face.
For any discomfort you can alternate every 3-4 hours between 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg). Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease.
Your dentist should be able to this for you and there should be no charges for this as well.
The sooner you can remove the tooth the better off you will be. The tooth can be removed and you can get a temporary appliance to wear (called a flipper) which is not too expensive and then you can take as much time as you want to decide what you want done permanently and when as well.
Does this make sense to you?