Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

After a month of my veneers my bottom teeth are still sensitive

Customer Question

After a month of my veneers my bottom teeth are still sensitive and painful, I had 2 root canals done and it seems like after a few days the tooth next to the one root canaled starts to hurt and become sensitive and extremely painful how can this be?! I'm soo tired of feeling pain!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.
It is more likely that the tooth with the root canal is hurting. if the adjacent tooth had decay and needed treatment, it would have been picked up on the X rays that were made during the root canal procedure.
Root canals are blind procedures, and therefore carry a success rate of about 90-95%. What this means is, that in every 5-10 out of 100 cases, there is a re-infection and the root canal has to be done again.
The main reason for this is that some amount of pulp tissue that was supposed to be removed in the first attempt, gets left behind. This happens because teeth have a lot of variation in their anatomy, all of which cannot be seen on X rays.
The reasons for your pain could be :
1. Inadequate instrumentation (some amount of pulp tissue is still left , which can be the source of pain)
2. An entire root canal missed (not picked up on an X ray and hence not cleaned)
3. A broken instrument being left inside the root canal which forms a nidus for infection leading to failure of the root canal.
4. The root canal is not filled entirely, which leads to an incomplete seal at the apex of the root, from which leakage of microbial products occurs and thus infection.
Discuss all these possibilities with your dentist. Im sure one of these is the reason why it is hurting.
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.
Good Luck !
Regards,
Dr. Behere