drbigreddog
drbigreddog, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  I continue to practice general (family) dentistry after 20 years and continue to love this great profession.
76090607

Do you have dentists here?

Customer Question

Do you have dentists here?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
I am a dentist and there are several others on this site.Is there something that I can help you with?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
If you have a question please ask.
Expert:  drbigreddog replied 1 year ago.
As Dr. Katz mentioned, there are dentists on this site. A few are retired but most of us have our own private practices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a tooth extraction - #19 - done on Friday afternoon. My tongue had had a yellow coating on it for some period of time before that; but no doctors were concerned with it, they just said it was extra acid and/or bacteria in my mouth. The surgeon told me to start warm salt water rinses the next day; I've noticed since then that my tongue is clearing up a bit to its normal color and it feels like dead skin in my mouth so I have rinsed with regular water and used a scraper; today my tongue feels like it's burning; although, I did have some spicier than usual Mexican food (soft food) yesterday. Is this normal or something to be worried about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is any one here?
Thank you for your question. To answer your question, Is any one here? I usually check my computer once a day or so. So you can expect a reply within a 24 hour period.
Secondly, any urgent questions or emergencies should be handled by your own personal dentist.
Now to answer your main question. Since none of your doctors were overly concerned about the yellow coating on it, that tells me it is quite normal. By the way, smokers tend to have more of a coating, and a darker color at that!
Anyways, I'm sure the burning you are experiencing is from overzealous scraping. The spicy food probably didn't help either.
Nothing to be worried about. Try minimizing the scraping and then every day do just a bit more. Your soft tongue has to get used to the scraping. It didn't all build up in one day so don't worry about not getting it all off in one day!
I have had patients with the exact same condition: a coating or a film on their tongue, excessive scraping, and burning and/or bleeding!
Take it easy! You will be fine!