Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I had a partial maxillectomy 8 weeks ago and I'm suffering

Customer Question

I had a partial maxillectomy 8 weeks ago and I'm suffering from trismus. I have been using a TheraBite for my physio. Could you recommend anything else that will help? My surgeons did not explain to me that this would happen, nor how long it would take to go back to normal. I'm only 27 so it's really affecting lots of aspects of my life. Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!

There are two things that come to my mind that may be helpful to you both immediately, and for the long term both.

First, you may well be in need of a muscle relaxer (such as Flexeril or equivalent). I would suggest conferring with the presumable Oral Surgeon who performed your partial maxillectomy for prescription & dosage instructions.

And secondly, I do not know a lot about the specific of the surgery which you had performed on you. I suspect many of the Dentists on this site may well be in the same camp. But what I would recommend strongly, is for you to see, and talk with the performing Surgeon who worked on you, and have him or her expound giving you more information & data, as I am certain you have many questions, just as anyone should. The (likely) Oral Surgeon who did the surgery should want to see you & follow up with you for this pot-operative visit. If this appointment isn't already scheduled - it sounds like it is time to set such appointment up! I hope this helps you.

I do indeed wish you the very best. You have had a very invasive surgery.

Dr. Rampton

*PS - Summarizing, go to your Doctor for a post op check & ask a list of question you understandably have. And, ask about getting a muscle relaxer for the trismus. And, of course if the Therabite is working, by all means continue using it as long it benefits you, as well.

Natasha,

I hope you are slowly doing better... Did you end up getting any muscle relaxer prescription?

Let me know if I can help further - and please do "rate" my answer when you feel I have answered you - alright?

Dr. Rampton