Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

I have suffered from on and off jaw pain (felt as if it was

Customer Question

I have suffered from on and off jaw pain (felt as if it was mostly bone related, in the inner gums and back behind teeth) for over a year now, about 12 months ago the left hand side of my face swelled up to the point where people thought I had a botched plastic surgery. It was never diagnosed, but thought to be related to a salivary gland infection of something sinus related, possibly leading to mono (I was lethargic for a good 8-12 weeks). I developed worsening jaw pain recently so went to the dentist to rule out an abscess. They did a simple wisdom tooth extraction, I developed a dry socket, the pain is beyond that however and I'm still in excruciating pain 10 days later. I have been prescribed penicillin to rule out an infection, it's not helping. The pain is actually in the tissue behind the molar that was removed - this is the pain that I was seeking treatment for, the removed wisdom tooth has not helped. The pain is now radiating up to my upper jaw and seemingly diagonally to the temple. The entire bone that runs below my inner low teeth is sore. This is also the left side, the side where I had a severe swelling last year. I have a similar looking lump on my left tonsil, the tonsil itself looks deflated and falling; it's not uniform to my right one. The tissue between the back of the molar and the tonsil has always been slightly inflammed. The soft palette/floor of my mouth began to swell last year to the point where if I stick out my tongue it moves up falls over the sides of my teeth. They said it was related to the salivary gland infection - the facial swelling subsided eventually, the tongue has remained the same however. I am waiting on an appointment with the ENT. My dentist is not taking me seriously and I assume thinks I am trying to scam more hardcore opiates. I have a very high tolerance to pain and get my lips injected (for example) with zero anaesthetic, the associated pain from this dental problem is therefore worrying. I have become very lethargic also; sleeping 10-12 hours a day vs 6-7, not having any energy to do my daily exercise routine etc. I started anti biotics 6 days ago and my mood has got worse not better. I regularly have the loud clicking sound in the throat/roof of my mouth so there may well be some existing sinus issues. Long term light smoker

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 1 year ago.
Hi your question cut off. I cannot see what you are asking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 28

HISorry I could not see before. It sounds like you may have an infection of the bone- which can happen following a dry socket. What may be helpful is a CT scan of the bones- to look for infection of the bone or soft tissue or any swelling
Please refer to this article:http://www.jcda.ca/article/b98
But you can get chronic bone infection from dental procedures, even in healthy people like youBut getting a CT scan would be super helpful.Can you see this?
I hope that this helped.please leave positive feedback with my time and expertise :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did the pictures attach?

(In regards ***** ***** second lump on the entrance to the tonsil).

I am departing for overseas in 48 hours for 24 days (appointment with ENT isn't for a month), do you recommend I try to organise a scan before then or is it "fine" to leave untreated for a while?

Yes it is. Hmm- I would get the CT scan- for peace of mind- and this may get worse when you are overseas and to try to arrange a CT scan or treatment there is going to be quite tough
they can do this in the ER
did I provide you with excellent service? And yes, I saw the pics