Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Wisdom tooth is cracked and there is a opening to my gum. The

Customer Question

Wisdom tooth is cracked and there is a opening to my gum. The is a lot of pain my mouth is watering a lot more and the gum is swollen what to do while I wait for oral sergeant
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Matthew Kremser replied 1 year ago.
Best option, if I understand properly that the tooth is cracked beneath the gumline, is to avoid chewing on that side. You must also be diligent with cleaning- floss, brush, and if you have a Waterpik that would be great. A pharmacy store might have plastic irrigation syringes in which you can load a mixture of half listerine/half warm water and flush out the area....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great any other advice I already tried listerine and warm water
Yes, very severe decay there... Alternate Tylenol and Advil- taking something every 4 hours but never the same med closer than 8 hours. You might try a temporary filling from the pharmacy- buy some gauze to pack on all sides of the tooth to try and keep it dry while you pack the filling material in there. They will have instructions with the package
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks a lot I'll see if my pharmacy has any if they don't will this be ok to put around it and just to make sure, this is a wisdom tooth and the Surgeon Will take it out ?
Yes- not sure of the efficacy there, but worth a try..