Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

my gums are sore and when I floss or touch the gums, it hurts

my gums are sore and when I floss or touch the gums, it hurts in more than a few spots. I also bought a jet sprayer to clean around the gum lines. but it has been a couple of months and it has not gotten any better.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

Just Dental Truths! :

Hello! I'll do my utmost to truthfully answer your question/s...

Just Dental Truths! :

Are the gums sore EVERYWHERE? Or in a specific area/s?

Just Dental Truths! :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

in many places

Just Dental Truths! :

I'm sorry if I've missed being able to converse with you more - as we seem to have perhaps "missed" conversing this evening, but I will type out some of my initial thoughts, with the data you've provided... My first thoughts, and I could be wrong, is that you may want to see a Dental Hygienist for a thorough cleaning...If I'm barking up the wrong tree just ignore me, but often times, as we all can have happen, as we're constantly eating foods daily, we can get residual amounts of build-up. The build-up we're talking about is often called calculus or tartar, and it builds up under the gums..Hello there!

Customer:

the gums around 4 to 5 teeth

Just Dental Truths! :

OK, so is it just around #4 & 5 area?

Customer:

I floss every day and for the past few months, I have bought and using a water jet sprayer

Customer:

the gums around 4 of my teeth hurt

Just Dental Truths! :

OK, are the gums sorer on the cheek side, or on the tongue side/roof of the mouth side?

Customer:

for 1 tooth, it hurts on both sides. for the others, hurt more on tongue side

Just Dental Truths! :

I think I misunderstood above-which teeth in your mouth are involved-where are the 4 or 5 teeth located? Top, bottom left, right, etc.?

Just Dental Truths! :

Front, back, etc.?

Customer:

2 teeth in bottom left corner. 1 other on bottom right corner (2nd or 3rd from the last). the fourth one is on top right about the 3rd tooth from the back

Just Dental Truths! :

Do you have access to see a Dentist or Dental Hygienist?

Just Dental Truths! :

Also, have you had a Dental cleaning recently by any chance?

Just Dental Truths! :

Are you still there?

Just Dental Truths! :

As we all can have happen, as we're constantly eating foods daily, we can get residual amounts of build-up of food particles, and they build up both below/underneath the gums, but also can do so above the gums. The build-up we're talking about is often called calculus or tartar. If it's been a while since you've had your teeth cleaned by a Dentist Or Dental Hygienist, I would recommend strongly that you go to see one as soon as possible, because in a visit or two they can make the sore gums you have feel much better. I commend you about getting the jet sprayer, and do'nt mistake me here, it's great! However, you may 1st need a cleaning by the Dentist/Dental Hygienist and then use the jet sprayer. Kind of silly, but here's an example: If you drive a car and it's a very muddy road, the mud cakes on & it's difficult to get off with just a spray bottle of water, etc. Instead, to get the car really clean, you 1st have to take the car to a car wash which uses a lot of powerful water spraying at the car, and then you can later use the spray bottles to tidy up. The same is true with our teeth-we can from over the years, get food particles (and most all of us do) that build up under & above our gums, and even though we use the jet sprayer which you are doing (Which is a good attempt!), it's still not enough & we need the Dentist or Dental Hygienist to 1st clean our teeth (like the powerful water spraying off the majority of the mud off the car (in this case our teeth though). Does this make sense?

Just Dental Truths! :

I see you are from China (I believe), and perhaps we are having problems with the communications of the internet, etc., as I (darn it) don't think you are able to read this...

Just Dental Truths! :

Will you do me a favor? Read this, when & if you can, and if you should have "any" further questions for me, will you not hesitate to ask me? Because I'd be more than happy to do so, whether tonight or tomorrow. My time it's 2:30 am - so I'm going to go to bed. But tomorrow, I'll be very pleased to assist you more if you have questions! I hope I was able to help you some. Thank you-- Gerald Rampton

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I have had my dental cleaning about 6 months ago

Customer:

yes ok. have a good night.

Customer:

we can talk tomorrow

Just Dental Truths! :

Hello, are you there?

Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience: 29 year clinical Practioner