Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had the second and final procedure of my root canal treatment

I had the second and final procedure of my root canal treatment last week on one of my back molars, I am still experiencing sensitivity is this normal after seven days?
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.What type of sensitivity are you feeling? Pain to hot or cold? Biting pressure? Were you placed on an antibiotic? Do you have any swelling? Do you feel like one side of your mouth hits the opposing teeth sooner than the other side?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am not feeling any pain but it is difficult to describe but the feeling is always there just a sort of dull ache. Pressure when biting is fine, no swelling, no antibiotics prescribed, no problems with hot and cold. I hope this helps, thanks Kate

There is always a possibility that there are lingering bacteria at the tip of these teeth.This is a common problem with infected teeth and I do not understand why some dentists choes to not place patients on antibiotics when doing root canal therapy.They are just taking chances with your outcome.I would get on a course of penicillin vk for one week,500 mg every six hours or amoxicillin 500 mg every 8 hours.I would also ask to see the final xray of this tooth after the root canal was completed.If there is any sign of darkening at the tip of the roots of this tooth,you can bet there are still bacteria present.Dull aches are usually a sign of a gum problem.Was a new filling placed in this tooth recently.Does it feel like the pain is between the teeth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks your help has been invaluable, the Dentist did take Xrays once root canal had been cleaned out and again once procedure had been completed. You are quite correct, I did have the filling replaced in this tooth and yes the pressure does seem to be coming from where the new filling and the next tooth meet. I will call them and ask to see the Xrays and discuss anti biotics. Thanks again, Kate

If the filling has an overhang or was not contoured correctly,it may be the cause of the dull pain.This pain would be coming from the gum and not the tooth itself.Please let me know what they find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX keep you postedWink

I will watch for your response.
Hi Kate have they resolved the problem causing this dull pain yet?