Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.

About two weeks ago, my bottom left molar (middle) broke off

About two weeks ago, my bottom left molar (middle) broke off just above the gum line. Since then there has been no discomfort whatsoever. (This tooth has a root canal, done several years ago). Options given were an implant, a bridge configuration or a removable spacer to fill the gap. What are the ramifications if I do nothing? Also, does the remaining part of the tooth, including the root canal, need to be pulled?
Hello , my name isXXXXX and I will try my best to provide you with the answer to your question.

Basically, for health reasons (to avoid infection) this tooth, or what remains of it, should be extracted.
Either of the recommendations made by your dentist sound very reasonable.

If finances are an issue you can extract the tooth roots and then do nothing for awhile and be just fine.

Please ask more if you need further clarification. I hope this helps.