DoctorAnil
DoctorAnil,
4713694

I have a bump on my uvula and on the soft palate. What to do?

Customer Question

Hello Doctor,

I am a 19 year old male. I have a bump on my uvula and on the soft palate. I have sore throat on the left side only when I drink water. I went to the urgent care 2 weeks ago with the sore throat and the doctor checked me and told me it was acute tonsillitis. I had some white spot on my tonsil as well as some substances called tonsil stone. When I went to the doctor I had a strange feeling on my cheeks when I ate or drank. I think those are the salivary ducts. I also had difficulty moving my jaw. The doctor prescribed me antibiotics (amoxicillin 500 mg) for 10 days. I completed my course and the jaw problem is gone. But, I still have pain on the left side of soft palate when I drink. I have swollen salivary glands under my left chin and right jaw bone. I also have swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck. Do I have any kind of cancer?

Category: Dental
Expert:  DoctorAnil replied 2 years ago.

History of smoking and alcohol intake?

Associated sore throat?

Have you seen an ENT specialist so far?

Have you consulted your doctor again after completing antibiotic course?

Spicy food intake?

Any other medical history?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I smoke occasionally (like 5-6 cigarettes per week). I only feel slight pain on the left base of tongue or the left side of the soft palate (left tonsil side) and when I swallow. There is a clicking sound on the left side of my throat. I don't have any fever or any other medical condition. I haven't seen an ENT specialist and also I didn't go to the doctor for a follow up after antibiotics. Is there something to really worry about?

Thanks for providing more information. Well as you describe and your pictures, chances of cancer are less. However, lump may be an obstructed salivary duct, or mucocele. These are harmless and normal and resolve on their own in few days - week. Although rinsing/gargling with warm salt water has been known to help healing. Second, as you are a smoker, this is likely a condition called nicotine stomatitis (NS). NS affects the soft palate by forming bumps.

And it's advised to stop smoking.

And do betadine antiseptic mouth gargles.

Also take OTC Motrin.

Avoid spicy foods.

And consult your doctor for a follow-up who also can prescribe you medications so that you get prompt relief.

Thank you.

DoctorAnil,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have nasal polyps and liquid mucus in my nose. The mucus only comes when I blow my nose by force. Can it cause my problem? And also I have always been worried about cancer. Can my symptoms be signs of cancer?

Thank you

Thanks for the follow-up. Firstly, I want to assure you that chances of cancer are very less. So you shouldn't worry about it. And nasal polyp and phlegm can be a contributing factor in sore throat, tonsil infection. So in my opinion, a clinical examination by an ENT specialist should be considered in your case to get proper treatment.

Good luck.

Thanks.

DoctorAnil,
Experience: