Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have receding gums, have lost several teeth, if I get Dentures

Customer Question

I have receding gums, have lost several teeth, if I get Dentures will the receding stop?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 years ago.

Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear. Gum recession is directly related to bone loss. The most common cause of bone loss is periodontal disease. Bone loss can also occur from abnormal pressure on teeth that have no support due to the non-replacement of missing teeth. The first thing to do to stop any further recession would be to have a good thorough cleaning and then replace all of the missing teeth with partial dentures. After teeth are extracted the alveolar bone, the bone that supports the teeth disappears over time. Dentures are made over the cortical bone and therefore gum recession really is not a concern here. So having dentures made is not a cure for gum recession it really is not related at all. Does any of this make sense to you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have lost 7 teeth with 2 more that are loose...agine, will Dentures stop the problem or is this more serious?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 years ago.
If your teeth are loose,it is unlikely that they will retighten.Are you speaking of a partial denture that is supported by your existing teeth or are you talking about a full denture that is placed after the teeth are extracted?Which problem are you trying to stop,the further loosening of more teeth or the gum recession around the remaining ones.Dentures really have nothing to do with gum recession.Your problem sounds like it has more to do with bone loss.The bone that you have lost will not come back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I'm talking full Denture...Sir would it be possible to talk to you over the phone? My number is XXX-XXX-XXXX if not please let me know, thanks...

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but this site does not allow us to communicate over the phone. If you can give me some more details about your situation perhaps I can explain to you better how to solve your problem. How many teeth do you have left on the upper and how many do you have left on the lower? Are these teeth loose?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 years ago.
Am I misunderstanding your question?Gum recession and wearing dentures are not really related.Gum recession occurrs around natural teeth.Once you start talking about dentures which are artificial,gum recession is not an issue.