Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a rotten smell coming from under a crown for several

I have a rotten smell coming from under a crown for several years,my dentist said xrays show no decay he said sometimes a crust forms around tooth and causes an odor, now the smell is really bad and is makeing me sick nothing I do can get rid of the smell of decay and its making me sick
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.If you can detect a foul taste coming from the vicinity of the crown,then there is a leak in the seal of the crown that may not be detectable on xray but most likely exists.The only other thing that can cause such an odor is periodontal disease..but even that odor is nothing like a leaking crown.The suspected crown needs to be removed.If your dentist will not remove the crown,then you need to have a second opinion.Do you feel any movement at all when you put biting pressure on this tooth or do you feel the crown "give" at all? Sometimes there may even be small bubbles that accumulate around the base of the crown when chewing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes all of the above plus nausea

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The odor and taste from a leaking crown is awful.It needs to be removed ASAP because bacterial decomposition is occurring under the crown.Your dentist should be aware that leaks around crowns are not always detectable with xray because of the angle of the xray and the metal base of the crown.This telltale taste should let your dentist know immediately that there is a problem.If he is not astute enough to know the proper treatment ,it is time to find a new dentist.Does this make any sense to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, it is a very long weekend because of the holiday is there anything I can do about the leakage in the meantime

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing that you can do to seal this tooth up,anything placed around the tooth will just irritate the gum.The leak does not have to be very big either to cause the bad taste either.I am assuming that the tooth has been root canalled because if this were a live tooth,you would most likely be in pain.Rinsing with straight peroxide or a strong salt water solution can help,but the source of the leakage will still remain and the only way to solve the problem is to get that crown off and see what is left of that tooth.I wish that I could give you a quick fix to your problem but this can be dealt with only in a dental office.There should be some dentists open on Monday,you may want to call around.I am working on Sunday and Monday but I am probably very far away from you.I am sorry about the solution to your problem but I would try the straight peroxide and let it pool around the tooth for a minute or two and may give you some extended relief from the bad taste.If you have other questions please ask.
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience: Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.