Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Why does my mouth taste and smell like feces? I floss brush

Customer Question

Why does my mouth taste and smell like feces? I floss brush and use a tounge scraper. Please help!!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.

I see you asked your question late last night. I am sorry that know one had yet replied.

Besides dental decay and gum disease, causes of bad breath can include gastric reflux and diabetes. Some people can have poorly fitting caps on their teeth or tonsil stones - both are problems that can harbor odorous bacteria. Certain medications and respiratory infections can result in this problem as well.

For tonsil stones, gargling with alcohol free mouth wash can help to loosen them and remove them. A dentist or ENT physician can also remove tonsil stones. Frequent gargling can help with the bacteria due to a lot of capped teeth (or poorly fitted capped teeth) as well.

Have you considered these causes and do they sound like a possibility for you?

Have you been able to see a health care provider for evaluation?

Please let me know any questions you might have still after reading my answer. Please do not rate my answer unless you are happy with it. I'll be checking in frequently to see if you have replied with further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've been tested for diabetes so I know it's not that. I just was reading something on gum disease the other day I was considering it but it will be a while till I can save up money to see the dentist. I'm in school and don't have insurance. I had a consultation with a professional dentist about 6 years ago and they told me I needed a crown because one of my teeth was cracked but I lost my job and didn't have insurance anymore. Then about 1 year later I got on government insurance and went to a dentist that accepted that insurance. Quit frankly I wasn't impressed with them. They filled the tooth with like a cavity and never put a crown on it. Do you think this could be the problem? Do you think bacteria is getting in through the cracks and getting stuck in there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
It's not that I'm not satisfied it's just that I'm trying to break it down and get as much information as I can because I don't like my condition, it's embarrassing. :(
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking. I will do my best to answer your question. I will try and provide additional information. I do agree with the dentist who answered me but you can try a few suggestions I will make as well.
Cracked teeth, old leaky fillings and decayed teeth can smell horrible. Gum disease , especially if they bleed or have pus can smell bad as well. Those areas will harbor bacterial debris and rotten food and the like.If you have either of these it will be difficult to get rid of the smell. It is natures warning that tells you something needs to be done!

If you would like to try a remedy that will help temporarily and at least make your teeth and mouth as clean and bacteria free as possible try this:

Make a paste of baking soda and a little 3% hydrogen peroxide. Place the paste around the teeth and push up towards the gums. Brush well and rinse well. Follow up with a strong , warm salt water solution. (2tsp salt in 6 oz warm water) Swish and repeat until gone. Do this 2X a day. In addition, get one of those tiny perio brushes and use it between the teeth to remove any debris.

if the smell persists you will have to go and get an exam and professional cleaning.

Look for coupons and deals for initial exam and cleaning in your local paper. That level of dental care can be fairly reasonable and at least let you know what you have to prepare for.
Hope that helps.
Dr. Peel

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm sorry I did not catch your reply earlier. I think that sounds like a good home remedy to try, that Dr. Peel provided you. If you would like some assistance in finding lost cost or free health care let me know, as there are services available thru your health dept system, and they charge based on income (so if no income, no charge). I would need your zip code to assist you with this.