Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
17496805

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning. I have not been

Customer Question

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning. I have not been in three or four years due to a very bad fear of hearing bad news and pain. I know I need work done and I am very concerned about the recieding gum line on my bottom four front teeth. I think I will need periodontic gum sugury...thanks, XXXXX XXXXX need to know some ways of dealing with this fear before my teeth and gums get worse and there is no fixing them. Are there techniques I can use to relax or anything I should tell my hygenist/dentist going into this?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking. I will do my best to answer your question.

Lot's of people have fear of the dentist. You are not alone. One thing you can do is request a prescription for a sedative (like valium) that you can take prior to your visit. That may calm your anxiety and help you relax for any necessary treatment.
Many dentists set up their offices these days to cater to fearful patients. They pay attention to music, chair comfort, lighting and so on and sometimes offer light sedation as well. If you really have a problem you may want to seek out someone who does this.
It is great that you do have the courage this time to go and address your dental issues. Call before you go and explain your fears. When you do go, ask your dentist to be gentle and go slow. request that he formulate a treatment that takes your fears into consideration and thus paces treatment. For example, it is probably wise to have early appointments so that you don't spend the day thinking about what is to come.
As far as your teeth, receding gum lines are a bit normal as we age. I am not sure how far yours have gone (you may send a picture if you wish and I will comment further), but it may look worse to you then it actually is. Try not to pre-judge what may be an easy fix.
Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I hope that I have helped you calm down some about this impending visit. I am glad to help if you need further service. Thanks.
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience: General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer, I will rate 'excellent' shortly : )

I went and survived the dentist with few problems, worked myself into a frenzy for not much work to be done. All the calcus was chipped off my bottom front teeth and I see a better gum line already. With dilligent flossing they said my gums will get stronger. yay.

One follow up question, are home whitening kits recomended for people with gums on mend? Is this something I should avoid?

Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Michelle.
I would avoid the whitening for a few weeks and allow the gums to heal. The whitening kits can do a lot of damage (burning) to the gums if you allow the gel to get on them. Be very careful and make sure the custom tray fits very well so that does not happen.
I am happy that you had a good dental visit. Well done! Keep up the good work.