Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Hard little lump in the gum above the front tooth

I have found a hard little lump in the gum above my front tooth. My father had a malignant schwannoma, so I am worried that this lump could be malignant. The dentist took an xray and said it didn't reveal anything. He then said to not worry about lump. Today I went to my family doctor, he said that it was very unlikely to be malignant, he said to return to him if lump grows. I have photos, I will try to upload them. Thanks.

Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.That area from your photograph looks like a normal appearing gum.There are always variations in the texture of the gum and the bone surrounding the teeth.If this area has not changed,is not swollen,is not bleeding ,does not hurt and shows no radiographic evidence of any radiolucency or radiopacity..I would not worry about it.Again,the picture appears to be normal looking gum tissue.If you have any further questions please ask.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello again, thank you for your reply. There is definitely a little lump there, the dentist felt it. I will upload another photo, please tell me what you think:

I tried to feel it but I couldn't tell from my computer screen..just kidding.I still believe that this is a normal variation of the gum tissue and it may be due to the fact that the bone underneath is a bit irregular.There are many bony variations in the maxilla and mandible called exostoses or tori.Sometimes they are big sometimes they are tiny.They are benign and need no treatment.This does not look in any way like a malignancy..it looks qiite normal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** torus show on xray or would it be too small?

I do have strange little white vertical lines forming an arch in the gum above this tooth, is this the "irregular bone" you refer to? I will attach a photo. Most of this "white arch" feels smooth and flat, but my lump is the white area at the edge of this arch. I have drawn a line just above this arch.

The torus would just show up as a whiter area on the xray because of its density.This area really does look quite normal.A torus itself is considered extra or irregular bone.The picture that you posted looks like normal tissue.I see nothing there that would cause any alarm whatsoever.