Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience:  Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.
62821609

how long should the gauze stay in after tooth extraction

Customer Question

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mariana replied 2 years ago.

Dr Mariana :

Hi, I am here to help you,

The gauze is usually left for half an hour… but if it continues bleeding, you can pack another one

Dr Mariana :

and keep it there for that time...

Dr Mariana :

You can also use a teabag. Tea contains a substance that helps with the clotting

Dr Mariana :

Do you have any other question? Can I help you with anything else?

Dr Mariana :

Let me know….

Customer:

what if I have left it in most of the day, like for hours is that going to stop the clotting?

Customer:

well not the same gauze, but kept replacing it.

Dr Mariana :

Yes,

Dr Mariana :

You can replace it, but you need to leave it without touching it for about half an hour to 45 minutes, the same piece.

Dr Mariana :

So you do not disturb the clotting process

Customer:

I see

so I need to take it out. Thanks.

Dr Mariana :

right, but just let it undisturbed for a while, so it will form the clot

Dr Mariana :

A teabag is really helpful

Customer:

ok thank you so much

Dr Mariana :

No problem… I will check on you tomorrow to see hour you're doing

Dr Mariana :

how you are doing

Dr Mariana :

ok?

Customer:

thank you. I am worried about dry socket

Dr Mariana :

Don't worry about it… It only forms when the blood clot does not form and that does not happen often...

Customer:

yeah but I have kept putting gauze on it all day.

Customer:

I will try not to worry

Dr Mariana :

Just take care on the area, don't rinse tonight and be gentle with your cleaning tomorrow morning

Customer:

thank you for being kind.

Customer:

will do.

Dr Mariana :

No problem !!!

Dr Mariana :

:)

Dr Mariana :

Talk to you tomorrow

Customer:

good night

Dr Mariana :

Good night

Please rate my answer… Thanks!

Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience: Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.
Hi Chris!

How are you doing? Did the teabag help?
Have a great day,
Dr Mariana Levy

Don't forget to rte my answer…. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for your help. I am doing ok. My gum is still sore, but no bleeding. I am taking my anti biotic as I was directed. I did not have to use a tea bag as once I stopped replacing the gauze it clotted right up and everything was ok.

I am so glad I could be of help! Good luck to you