Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

I had a tooth extracted today and some bone grafting put in.

I had a tooth extracted today and some bone grafting put in. My stitches came out a couple of hours later. What do I do?
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Extraction sites will heal on their own with or without bone grafting ,with or without stitches.The important thing to do at this point is not to rinse or disturb the clot in the socket.The first 72 hours is the most susceptible time to develop a dry socket from the loss of the clot.Bone grafting can be replaced at any time and in most cases is not even necessary.If you are not having any bleeding at this point,just be gentle with the area and try not to rinse or brush your teeth for the next 24 hours.If you are having any bleeding,biting down on a wet tea bag will close off any small capillaries.You can make an appointment when your dentist office opens on Monday.At that point they can either add bone grafting material or a stitch or two if necessary.You should be fine.If you have any other questions please ask.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the answer. Do you think it would require going back to the dentist Monday? It is not bleeding. I few pieces of the bone graph have come out but they told me that would happen. It seems fine now. I was just worry since the stitches came out so soon after being home and it being saturday.

thanks again.

The body has amazing abilities to heal.As long as you are not bleeding I would not really worry about it .Was this an upper or lower tooth ? Are you planning on having an implant placed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was an upper tooth. Yes, I plan to have an implant.
I am assuming that you had enough bone to avoid a sinus lift.If a lift were would most likely have more sutures and they most likely would not have come out so soon..they really like to secure the bone graft on a lift tightly.Gravity is the big thing that you have working against you..but if you are careful for the next 24 to 48 hours the clot should coagulate and begin to close the socket.Remember you will get bony healing with or without the grafting material.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX think I had a sinus lift. I did forget to mention. There was a crown there before. The crown came off last night so that is why I was in there today. They could not reattach the crown.
I see ,the tooth was probably not restorable so they extracted it.Keep in mind that if you have a soilid tooth on both sides of the extraction site,you can have a bridge made and avoid any further surgery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes the teeth on either side are solid. What is your opinion of a bridge verses and implant? I was told the price is about the same. IS one better than the other?

The bridge would be less expensive,can be completed in less time,would not involve the risks of any surgery and if you have insurance,they will cover their portion of the bridge ,usually about 50%.Single tooth implants in this region can never be made wide enough because the porcelain part of the crown ,needs to taper down to the implant head,which is only abot three mm wide.Your actual tooth is more like 15 mm there is always the problem with getting food trapped at the taper.Implants have their uses but not in this case.The average price for a 3 unit porcelain fused to metal bridge is about $3000.An implant will run about $2000,grafting an additional $300,The crown on top of the implant plus parts an additional $2000..There is also the wait.In two months you can have the bridge prepped and two weeks after that the bridge is cemented and you are done.And it is permanent.Now you have to wait 2 months for the graft to set,then the implant is placed,then you have to wait another 4 months.Then the implant is uncovered,another trip to have impressions and then the crown is cemented on the implant stud.You will be with a space in your mouth for 7 to 8 months or more..If it were my mouth..I would chose the bridge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all the great information. I certainly will think about a bridge instead of the implant. I appreciate all your help.
Let me know if you have any other questions,and I would give the bridge some serious consideration.