Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
17496805

What causes the tip of my tongue and lips to burn and stin

Customer Question

What causes the tip of my tongue and lips to burn and sting?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.

Dr. C Peel :

Hello, I will try and give you the best answer I can but I may need more info.

Dr. C Peel :

Sometimes dry mouth , which occurs when we get older and hormones are depleted, can cause a burning sensation. Medications on board can also effect sensations and /ordryness. Diabetes can have neurologic side effects like this as well.

Dr. C Peel :

Deficiencies of iron and B complex vitamins can also cause this burning.

Dr. C Peel :

I would suggest you try looking at your diet and possibly supplement with a multi vitamin and in addition sip water frequently during the day as well as use a lubricating mouth wash.

Dr. C Peel :

Please let me know if you need more information. I see you are offline so just ask me when you get back on and I will be here later, OK?

Dr. C Peel :

One more thing....are you possibly wearing dentures? A contact dermatitis can cause an allergic reaction that can burn.

Dr. C Peel :

Hi, I just saw the "already tried" part. Sorry if I missed that. it sounds very uncomfortable. I am sorry you are experiencing this . If you have already been to your dentist and physician and had tests to determine any systemic causes then there is not any other recommendation I have. However, in any case, it is a poorly understood problem and most treatments (with an undermined specific cause) are symptom relieving things to do. Some of these are things you may have tried but I will name all that I can think of and perhaps you will get some relief.

Dr. C Peel :

1. don't use alcohol that contains alcohol

Dr. C Peel :

2. Don't use toothpaste that contains a lot of extra ingredients.....try "Toms"

Dr. C Peel :

3.avoid alcohol intake and smoking

Dr. C Peel :

4. chew gum

Dr. C Peel :

5. don't drink highly acid drinks, like OJ, Coffee, sodas lots of water is better

Dr. C Peel :

6 use baking soda for toothpaste

Dr. C Peel :

7. I obtain alkaline water at the local health food store. This might help with an acid imbalance in your saliva.

Dr. C Peel :

I hope this helps, please let me know how you are with this

Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been to my dentist and a dental specialist. They did not know what my problem is. I have been to several medical doctors and looked up my prescriptions on the internet to see if the burning and stinging of my lips and tongue are a side effect, but none are. I got on the internet again last night and found something that sounds like it called Oral Lichen Planus. I have tried all kinds of mouth prescription mouth washes, suck on ice chips, used Bioteen tooth paste and mouth wash and now using baking soda. Have tried extra Vitamin Bs and Ds. I recently had blood work and nothing was abnormal. I AM TOTALLY MISERABLE AND HURT ALL THE TIME AND CANNOT ENJOY EATING ANYTHING.

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 80

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I checked dissatisfied. I have really had this problem since 2001 when I had sinus surgery and had a major complication which necessitated heavy steroid treatment. Then that is when it first began. Then in 2007 had open heart surgery again with heavy steroid treatment in which my mouth, tongue and throat broke out in terrible sores and blisters. Then in 2011 I became very ill with an asthma attack and everything went wrong and again heavy steroid treatment and now it is totally out of control and very painful. I know all of this stemed from steroid use but what can I do? I have tried everything and different doctors, but to no avail. I'm sorry if I expected more from you. Please accept my apology.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am so sorry to hear the whole story. It does sound like you are suffering. Medical science is not perfect and we don't always have the solutions. Oral lichen planus is different. You would have white straitions or ulcers on the insides of your mouth and yes it can cause burning. You mentioned that you had had ulcers before so perhaps we are onto something here. One thing that I did not mention is that some Beta blockers, which you may be using because of your heart condition, can cause oral lichen planus. Changing these to another brand can, in some cases, be helpful. Still, most of the treatment involves the lifestyle changes I already mentioned. Some have additionally found relief with acupuncture treatment . Acupuncture treatment can work on the neural pathways and interrupt, so to speak, sensations of pain. I am not sure it would work but it is worth a try. Bland diet, sipping milk, are also two natural remedies. If you want you can return. I will continue to research this difficult problem for you . I do sympathize and have had patients just as frustrated. Thank you for your kind reply . I do try to do my best and give the best answers I can. I am sorry that there is not more available.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
Here is a comprehensive list of causes, some of which I have already mentioned.

Systemic: diabetes, arthritis, hepatitis C, anemia, thyroid, blood dyscrasias, sinusitus, autoimune disease

Inflamitory: mucosal barrier alterations (from allergies), chronic irritatons, non-specific oral immune response

Gastro-intestinal: acid reflux, crones disease

meications: antihypertensives, (especially B-blockers), thyroid, Ca-channel blockers, cholesterol lowering drugs

dental: materials (dentures)

diet: sodas, chocolate

Dry mouth: oral PH

hormonal: estrogen alterations, thyroid

stress: neurologic or psychological

Perhaps if you look through these it will shed some light. If so, check with your physician to see if anyhting can be remedied with meds, etc. othewise, only the palliative treatments will apply.

Hope this helps.!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These are the medications I take and have checked all of them to see if the side effects cause burning lips and tongue, but none do. I don't think any are B-blockers.

ATENOL 25 MG DAILY in the PM (TO SLOW HEART RATE)

CYMBALTA 30 MG ONE IN THE PM

SIMVASTATIN (ZOCOR) 20 MG. ONE IN PM

THEOPLYINE 200 MG ONE AM & PM

SINGULAR 10 MG ONE IN EVENING

DILTIAZEM HCL ER 360 MG TIAZAC

(BLOOD PRESSURE) TAKE ONE DAILY in the AM

BUMEX (BUMETAMIDE) 2 MG (FLUID) ONE DAILY

IN AM (ONLY AS NEEDED)

LEVOTHYROXINE 100 MG (THYROID) ONE IN AM

B12 500 MG IN AM AFTER MEAL

HYDROCODON-ACETAMINOPHN 10-325 ONE

AS NEEDED FOR PAIN

BABY ASPIRIN

CENTRUM SILVER 1 EVERY OTHER DAY IN AM

OSCAL ONE EVERY OTHER DAY IN PM

D3 1000 ONE A DAY IN AM AFTER MEAL

AZOPT ONE DROP IN EYES AM & PM

TRAVATAN ONE DROP IN EYES IN PM

NEBULIZER TWICE A DAY –

IPRATROPIUM BROMIDE O.5 – ALBUTEROL 3 MG

AND BUDESONIDE O.5 MG

Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
The blood pressure med and the Zocor and Levothyroxin could be a problem. I am not advocating stopping them but ask your physician and pharmacist about possibly adjusting the dose or substituting another med.
You have quite a lot on board and the combination of these can act in synergy to cause untoward effects like you are experiencing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not smoke (never have), do not drink. I have recently been driking buttermilk, eating yogurt, have always been diligent about brushing my teeth. When looking up LEVOTHYROXINE 100 MG (THYROID) it does not mention mouth problems. I just started Zocor for chlosterol three days ago. You can see why I am so desperate and at my wits end plus being in so much pain. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
Hypothyroidism is associated with Lichen Planus. Studies have found significant correlation with hypothyroxin medication and oral lichen planus. Ask your physician about this. It is not the medication, per se, but the underlying disease that it treats. The medicine will alter the thyroid function or supplement thyroid for an under-active thyroid gland output. If , in fact, this is behind your problem, titrating this may make a difference.
I am sorry that there is no magic bullet. Your medical history is very complicated and needs a team approach of medical specialist advice. It is a bit over the scope of this venue. All I can offer is the research and provide you with ideas for your physician to consider as well as palliative treatments. It is a difficult case which will require trial and error and time unfortunately.
I wish you the best. Please consult your physician and ask about the thyroid issue/lichen planus which may be at the root of your misery. I hope that helps and you get this resolved.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will take them to my primary care physician and see what he thinks.

Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
That sounds like a good course of action. Let me know on later if you want to, what the outcome is. Best of luck!
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience: General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have researched Levothyroxine and no where does it say it causes tongue and lips burning. I think this is an auto immune or neurology problem. This was the result of heavy steroid injections each time and is jut not going away no matter what I do. I cannot eat and it is very depressing to be in constant pain. I know it is not a dental problem as I have already been to two dentist - one a specialist. ,
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
The thyroid medication does not cause it, the underlying disease (hypothyroidism, may. The dosage that would correct the symptoms is the issue. Perhaps you need more is all I postulated.
I will open up your question to other doctors now so that you might get a broader perspective.
I hope someone else can shed some light on this debilitating problem for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just had blood work done and the doctor said my thyroid medication is at the right level as my thyroid is fine. I had part of it removed in 1955 due to a growth on it. As a matter of fact what really confuses me is all my blood work came back okay. I appreciate the time you have spent. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just looked at my blood report and under 867SB = T4 (THYROXINE) Total: T4 (THYXOXINE) TOTAL: Under IN_RANGE it has 7.2 UNITS mcg/dl Under EXPECTED 4.5-12.0

Then 859SB= T3, TOTAL

T3, TOTAL Out of Range 73, Units ng/dl, Expected_ 76-181. I don't know if this helps in any way. As you can see, I am desperate. I know it is not Thrush.

Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
I think this question may be better answered by a physician. Perhaps you should log back in and discuss with one of the physicians. Wish I could be more help.
Has anyone ever discussed applying a gel anesthetic? Such as the one we use prior to injections in the mouth? This would at least numb the area and perhaps make it easier to eat and be a bit more pain free.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
Don't worry about the time I spend. I am here to answer your questions and am happy to provide the time. I am so sorry that , with all my knowledge and research , I feel inadequate to solve this unfortunate dilemma.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
I would appreciate, however, if you can change my rating if you think I tried and gave you my best. My suggestion to go to the physician site may be helpful if you tell them what my suggestions were and go from there, OK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to be charged $58 twice as I am 80 years old and trying to live on Social Security. I feel you really tried. Tell me how I can avoidgetting charged again.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
Oh,
I did not think you were charged before. I guess customer service will have to take care of that. I will post a note. I think you can re-rate and then get a refund. I will make sure. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have already told me I am being charged the second time. You certainly earned being paid.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry it was so expensive for you. Wish there had been a better outcome. Let me know in the future if it is resolved or I can help with another problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have an appointment with an ear, nose and throat specialist thursday. I am taking some of your suggestions with me. For years doctors have dismissed my problem, but it's getting worse and now the side of my tongue is getting started as well as the tip of my tongue and lips. I'm tired of fighting it and am going to the doctor and demand answers. When I find out the final outcome, how can I get in touch with you as I know you would like to know.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
I will put you on a recall. I don't think you have to pay for that. I will make it for August 1 to give you time. I am very interested in their opinion and hope you get a good answer and result!
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
I will continue to research this for you and would like to know if your physician agreed with a change in Beta blockers if you are , in fact taking these.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think I am taking any Beta Blockers. I just started Zocor for colosterol 5 days ago but I have had this problem long before now.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
Lets see what your physician says and go from there. I am very interested and hope that with the combination of what I found and their knowledge we can get some results!