Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My wife woke up with a sharp pain in right jaw -upper and lower.

My wife woke up with a sharp pain in right jaw -upper and lower. She has had an Advil. Is it tooth pain ? She said it would get worse while lying down as opposed to sitting. Am Concerned it might be heart related..She says the pain has now gone but she thinks it may come back. Wondering how to proceed
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Where exactly was the pain in her jaw? Was it right in front of her ear? Does she have any swelling in her mouth or does any particular tooth hurt? Does she grind her teeth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She says pain is in the right cheek bone area inside the teeth.. It is throbbing / stabbing pain and it comes and goes every 10 to 15 minutes. Yes she does grind her teeth. She says maybe bit hard on a bone while eating food. Ps: when you say right in front Of ear which area did you mean ?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Is there a paricular tooth hurting and is this pain confined to the upper jaw? Is there any swelling under the lower jaw or in the cheek area?Are there any loose teeth and can she put her finger on a tooth that is sore?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she cannot pinpoint a particular tooth that is hurting sore. Yes the pain is confined to upper jaw. There is no swelling. There is no loose tooth.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
This does not sound like anything is related to her heart.If she had bitten down abnormally on something hard,there is a joint called the temporomandibular joint located right in front of the ear where the pointy piece of skin called the tragus points backwards toward the ear canal.If you put your finger in the spot and open and close the jaw,you can feel the jawbone move in its capsule.Does she have any pain in this area and when she brings her teeth together does everything seem to mesh properly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she does not have pain to that particular spot where the joint is I believe. She is sayingbutsvhurtung all over in the bottom and top teeth in right side.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Can she close comfortably and are the teeth meshing properly?It would be highly unusual for all of her top and bottom teeth to hurt at the same time on one side.Ask her to see if she can feel in her mouth or on her gum,any particularly sensitive or swollen area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't really find a particular swelling or any other mechanical problem with teeth. She is saying pain is inside teeth all over on right side.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.

Are the teeth sensitive to hot or cold? Are her gums sensitive and hurting? I s there any bleeding? Do her sinuses feel stuffy like she has a cold? Does she have a fever? What medicines besides Advil is she taking right now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no fever and no bleeding. What type of doctor does she need to go to ( ie a dentist, internal medicine etc).you think as I think that will be best ( ie to get examined)
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
If she feels that the pain is confined to the teeth and jaw on the one side only..I would have her first seen by an oral surgeon and have them take an xray of her head to rule out any obvious dental problems.If she is actually having a problem with the trigemminal nerve which innervates the area of the jaws that your wife is referring to..they can direct you to a neurologist if that is necessary.The oral surgeon should be able to pinpoint the where the trouble is coming from.
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience: Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.