Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience:  Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.
62821609

I have a gap in my teeth that is getting wider, whats the

I have a gap in my teeth that is getting wider, what's the most affordable way to fix it without insurance.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mariana replied 4 years ago.

Dr Mariana :

Hi, I am here to help you,

Dr Mariana :

There are 2 ways of fixing the gap bestrewn your teeth: either by filling it with tooth colored material or by closing it with braces

Dr Mariana :

If the gap is not too wide, you can discuss the possibility of filling it by adding tooth color material to your teeth.

Dr Mariana :

However, the concern is why the gap is getting wider. You probably have a traumatic bit that is pushing your front teeth forward… in that case, the option is orthodontics. I understand that finances are a problem right now. You might want to discuss the possibility that your dentist could build you a night guard/ retainer to keep the teeth from spreading even further until you can afford to have another solution

Dr Mariana :

I hope this helps!

Dr Mariana :

Dr Mariana Levy

Dr Mariana :

Please rate my answer…. Thanks!

Customer:

The gap is not that wide.. I've heard of Invisalign. I also heard that a dentist can attach a tiny metal wire behind the teeth that pulls them together and adjust it as they get closer. Are these good alternatives to braces and how much should I expect to spend. Thanks.

Dr Mariana :

Invisalign is quite expensive… from $4500 up...

Dr Mariana :

Regarding a wire placed to close the gap… I would not recommend that. It is not a controlled way of moving your teeth and it can actually move your teeth in undesirable ways

Dr Mariana :

If the gap is not that wide, you might want to consider having it filled

Customer:

Wouldn't the wire be essentially the same as braces? Just not on all of them.. the rest of my teeth are perfect. What type of insurance would cover this?

Dr Mariana :

No; the wire alone is not the same as braces… the braces actually control the wires and apply the forces in a controlled manner.

Dr Mariana :

The other teeth serve as anchorage, so they need to be tied too

Dr Mariana :

There are insurances that cover braces, but that is not something I am familiar with… I am afraid you will need to call different dental insurances and shop around about that. Some of them will cover a percentage

Customer:

Ok well thank you for your information.

Dr Mariana :

You are welcome!!!

Dr Mariana :

Good luck to you..

Dr Mariana :

Do you have any other questions?