Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

How long does amoxicillin take to work on dental abcess

Customer Question

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.If you actually have an infection with will not see the results of the amoxicillin working for at least 48 hours.It takes that long to get a high enough blood level to begin to wipe out the bacteria.Depending on how long the infection has been present,it could take 4 o5 days before there is a signifigant decrease in swelling.You should be taking 500mg 3 times a day and remain on it for a full course of 7 days.The amoxicillin will not cure the abcess,it will only keep it from spreading.The abcessed tooth either nedds to be root canalled or extracted..if not your infection will remain.It sounds as if the tooth that was filled was infected and needs further treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything else that I can help you with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have returned to the dentist this evening to be advised the filled tooth is not mobile and the access will clear in time , do you have any remedies for the pain as at present despite taking pain relief every 3hrs I am still in a lot of pain
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 years ago.
Has this filled tooth been root canalled and is the root canal completed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe it had been root canal led many years ago, it was a filled tooth previously.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 years ago.
If the tooth was root canalled and has an abcess this long is likely that just taking antibiotics will not solve your problem..Either the root canal has failed and there is a persistent abcess or the root is fractured.The tooth either needs to be retreated or extracted.The diagnosis to explain the cause of the abcess ,has not been made.If you have swelling and drainage from an old root canalled tooth..the chances are not good that this tooth can be saved.Your dentist should have prescribed pain medicine for you.He also should have discussed why an old root canalled tooth is now infected.Advil 400mg every 4 hours alternating with tylenol 1000 mg every four hours is the best over the counter regimine for pain relief.I would go back to the dentist and have him xray the tooth and explain where the abcess is coming from.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Many thanks , I have found this service extremely fast, helpful and you have put my mind at rest. thank you
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. I hope that you get this issue resolved quickly.