Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Hi, I havent been to a dentist in years and most of my top

Hi, I haven't been to a dentist in years and most of my top back teeth are a wreck. I've been having some pain lately but because of the condition of the teeth I'm really worried about how much time and money this will take to fix. I'm also worried about them wanting to do thousands of dollars worth of work that doesn't really need to be done.
Is it difficult to dig out teeth that are essentially just stumps?
About how much would I have to pay for this(most of the back teeth on top are bad)?
And then what would happen? Dentures? Or are implants possible/affordable?
Thank you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Without seeing your xray ,I cannot give you an exact price of what your dental treatment will cost.The average price of an extraction of a root tip may run $200 or less depending on the difficulty.After the extractions are done and you have had time to heal, you can have a partial denture made which is customized to your mouth.If you have some solid teeth in the front,and still have your cuspid teeth,they can be used to provide solid abutments and can be clasped.The upper partial can replace all of your missing teeth.The average price could run $1500 to $2200 depending on your area.Implants are expensive but can be done at a later time even if you have a partial made now.Average price for implants about $2000 each.You woild probably need at least four on the top and then the bridgework that goes on top of the implants would run about $12,000.Any good general dentist that has experience or an oral surgeon can extract these teeth.I would go to a good general dentist first sothat he can tereatment plan what needs to be done.If he feels that an oral surgeon would be needed,he can refer you to one and then you would return to the general dentist for the construction of the partial.Any further questions please ask.
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience: Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.