Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

What do they do with the hole in your tooth after rootcanal

What do they do with the hole in your tooth after a root canal, and you're waiting for another visit for a crown? do they just make you walk around with an exposed hole in your tooth for months on end? or do they cover it with something? I've been having panic attacks at the thought of this and I can't seem to imagine how much having an exposed hole in your tooth would hurt. I'm very nervous, but i don't want the tooth extracted. I'm only 21 and i'm not ready to give up my teeth.
I've been briefed a little bit on what a root canal is actually doing, but I've never been told what exactly they do while they schedule you for a crown. I really want to know what to expect. I don't know how many visits the whole fiasco is going to take either. please help.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.After the root canal is done a filling is usually placed in the tooth.If it was done by an endodontist..they are not alowed to restore teeth..so they usually put in a temporary filling until your dentist either fills the tooth or crowns it.The tooth should be sealed and you should be in no danger.All a root canal is ..is cleaning out the very narrow hollow space in the middle of the tooth...and then filling this hollow space with a filling material.The hollow space in the tooth used to house the nerves and blood vessels of the tooth ..but they are now gone..so there should be no pain.Your dentist should be able to put a real filling in the tooth in about two minutes if the temporary filling has come out.The crown is made to protect the tooth from breaking..root canalled teeth can be brittle.First the tooth is prepped..a little bit of the tooth is ground away just to allow enough space for the metal and porcelain.The tooth is prepped so all the sides are parallel.This only takes about 5 minutes.Then an impression is taken of the tooth and is sent to the lab.Your dentist will cement on a temporary crown while the real crown is being made.It usually takes about two weeks.Then you return for a 10 minute appointment to have the crown cemented.None of this is painful.I would suggest that you request a porcelain fused to metal crown.They last longer and there are less problems than the in office Cad/cam crowns.If you have any further questions please ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh my gosh this is an absolute relief. I'm so glad i don't have to lose my tooth. I'm willing to pay out of pocket for this procedure if it's so effective!

Is there any cost difference between a porcelain fused to metal crown and a...whatever else there is? ( i don't really know the other sorts of crowns.) I want to be prepared for any surprise fees or anything.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Crown prices run anywhere from about $800 to $1500 depending on where you live.The porcelain fused to metal crowns are more stable and provide better protection..Many dentists try to push another type of crown called cad/cam.. these in office ceramic crowns are made by an expensive machine and they charge alot of money for them even though they are not as durable as the porcelain fused to metal ones.I am assuming the root canal is all done..so you just need to get the crown done..it is not really complicated but needs to be done by an experienced dentist.Make sure your dentist has been practicing for at least 10 years and that he knows how to do crown and bridge work.Don't be railroaded by the in office crowns that are made by the machine.I hope this helps.
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience: Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.