Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

my crown came off n noticed that my tooth broke with it can

Customer Question

my crown came off n noticed that my tooth broke with it can it be fixed
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

If part of your tooth broke off inside your crown, it is unlikely that the crown can be re-used, because there would no longer be enough tooth structure left to resist the considerable forces of chewing to prevent breaking off the crown again.

The question that remains to be answered is whether the tooth can be salvaged. Because tooth structure was lost, it would be necessary for your dentist to cut away a collar of gum and bone tissue from the neck of the tooth to make available a sufficient amount of tooth structure to reliably hold the crown. However, such a strategy-- a "crown lengthening procedure"-- would only be feasible if a sufficient amount of the root of the tooth remained embedded in the jaw bone for reliable periodontal support, even after excision of gum tissue. This would require that (a) the root of the tooth be sufficiently long, and (b) there was little or no loss of supporting bone due to periodontal (gum) disease.

Therefore, a reliable answer to your question requires that the tooth be professionally assessed, both visually and by x-ray. The quality of the expected outcome from crown lengthening and new crown placement must be considered in the context of alternative treatments, such as extraction followed by prosthetic replacement (e.g., implant or fixed bridge).

Hope this helps...