Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

The insides of my mouth feel like they are scraped and scratched.

The insides of my mouth feel like they are scraped and scratched. Is this cause by a food allergy? It has lasted more than a month.
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

A symptom of oral mucous membrane soreness is a non-specific symptom that is shared by a wide variety of different conditions and disorders. Food allergy is not among them, because food allergy more typically presents as urticaria (hives) or angioedema (swelling of the tongue, eyes, lips, or throat.

Among the more common culprits in oral mucous membrane soreness are apthous stomatitis (canker sores), mechanical irritation from dry mouth (impaired salivary secretion or mouth breathing), oral yeast infection (candidiasis, thrush) due to immune deficiency or broad spectrum antibiotic use, sensitivity to a flavoring or coloring agent in a toothpaste, mouthwash, or chewing gum, "burning mouth syndrome" (a form of peripheral neuropathy), and a variety of autoimmune mucous membrane disorders (lichen planus, pemphigoid, lupus, Crohn's disease, pemphigus vulgaris), and others. In order to select an appropriate means of management, that broad list of possibilities must be narrowed down to a conclusive identity. That process of identification will require a formal diagnostic protocol.

Your first best strategy would be to arrange for that assessment by scheduling an appointment with your dentist. If your dentist is unable to conclusively diagnose the condition responsible for your symptom, you should consult with a clinical oral pathologist, whose particular training and skills are well suited to this task. You can find contact information for an oral pathologist near you by consulting the online directory of the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology.

Hope this helps...