Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

My crown fell out with the post in it. The crown is intact.

My crown fell out with the post in it. The crown is intact. What is a temp solution until I return from my trip?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.If you can clean out the existing cement in the crown..there are some temporary dental cements in most drug stores that you can use to put the crown back in.If you feel that after cementing is is probably better to just keep it out until you return to , or you can find a dentist.The tooth has been root canalled so there is no real likelihood of infection.Just keep the area clean.Again it is better not to swallow it with the post sticking can cause problems in the digestive tract if swallowed accidentally.If you have any other questions please ask.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The post is at an angle on the back molar, so it is hard to find the hole to insert the post. Is there a easy way to insert the post in the tooth or should I just wait. The area is sensitive when trying to insert the tooth.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 years ago.
If it is is possible that there could be a root fracture..You are probably better off just leaving it alone..just keep the area clean.