Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience:  Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.

One of my two front teeth has moved slightly over the past

One of my two front teeth has moved slightly backwards over the past few years and although cosmetically you can't notice it, it irritates me as I keep rubbing my tongue over it because it feels rough. What is the best solution for this?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mariana replied 2 years ago.

Dr Mariana :

Hi, I am here to help you,

Dr Mariana :

As you have already noticed it, teeth move throughout life.

Dr Mariana :

Just as our bodies change, skin, muscles, bones, there is also changes and shifts in the dentition. If there is a rough edge on the lingual side of your front teeth, you can go to the dentist and he could smooth the edge or edges that are irritating to your tongue.

Dr Mariana :

Be aware that your teeth will continue to move, though.

Dr Mariana :

I know you are happy with the way your teeth look cosmetically, but you could have a consultation with an orthodontist if at any time you do not like something about their function

Dr Mariana :

or if you notice that your teeth have signs of being worn (have facets)

Customer: Hi
Dr Mariana :

Hello!

Dr Mariana :

You could also have your dentist build a night guard . This will prevent further teeth movement

Customer: No signs of wearing as yet. Have been to the dentist and he suggested either filling the back of the other front tooth with porcelain or getting a removable brace like envisalign is that what it,s called. He didnt know if that latter option would be suitable in this case. Any experience with this?
Dr Mariana :

yes, as I am an orthodontist :)

Dr Mariana :

Invisalign is for certain cases… usually it focuses on the alignment of the teeth, so candidates have to start of with a good bite

Customer: Do you think this would do the trick?
Dr Mariana :

If you do have a good bite (you need to be examined by and orthodontist) and you are a candidate for theist type of treatment, this would do the trick

Dr Mariana :

Meaning

Dr Mariana :

It will move your teeth forward

Customer: that sounds promising. How long would it take to correct and how much does it cost?
Dr Mariana :

Well, it really depends on the case...

Dr Mariana :

Cases can take as little as 6 to 8 months (the shortest, usually) or as long as a couple of years...

Dr Mariana :

you have to remember that movement of the teeth is very slow...

Dr Mariana :

orthodontics takes a long time and it's not a quick fix

Customer: Sure. Do you need to wear it all day and night?
Dr Mariana :

Yes

Dr Mariana :

22 hours a day is the recommended regimen

Dr Mariana :

it means that you can only take them off to brush and eat

Customer: are they noticeable?
Dr Mariana :

if you wear them less they will not work

Dr Mariana :

not at all

Dr Mariana :

You may want to check their website and see the video

Dr Mariana :

let me give you the link

Dr Mariana :

hold on

Dr Mariana :

http://www.invisalign.com/Pages/default.aspx

Dr Mariana :

Regarding cost, I can give you an idea of cost in the US… but I am not sure in Australia...

Dr Mariana :

The average treatment in the US is between $4500 and $7000...

Customer: thanks. In your opinion, would I be wasting my time to go with the other option of filling the back of the other tooth so it is smoother when I run my tongue against it if the teeth may move further?
Dr Mariana :

Well… that would be a quick fix… it will solve the sensation, but is not addressing the problem if you have malpositioned teeth….

Dr Mariana :

If your bite is off, my suggestion is to have a consult with an orthodontist

Dr Mariana :

Does that make sense to you?

Customer: it does but I don't think my bite is off. This has only occurred in the last 2 years. The rest of my teeth are pretty straight and it,s just the one that has dropped slightly back.
Customer: Small problem I know but it's annoying
Dr Mariana :

I understand… if your bite is ok and your tooth is slightly out of alignment I think that the ideal option would be to position the tooth where it should be….

Dr Mariana :

However, if for any reason, orthodontic treatment (Invisalign or any type) is not something you want to pursue (time, financial concerns, etc), then , having the tooth smoothed out by a filling or smooth the enamel by recontouring the tooth, is not a bad option

Customer: How long would each option last?
Dr Mariana :

I would still consider a retainer or night guard to avoid any further tooth movement after you get the tooth fixed

Dr Mariana :

The filling could be done in one appointment

Dr Mariana :

and the night guard takes a couple of appointments. Taking an impression and fitting of the night guard

Dr Mariana :

The Invisalign, as I said, could take several months, at the minimum

Customer: But once the invisalign has corrected the tooth, I would still need a retai er after that so it doesn't shift back again, or would it be fine?
Dr Mariana :

You will need some kind of retention after the treatment is done… as I mentioned before , teeth shift throughout life

Dr Mariana :

Is there any other questions I could help you with?

Customer: Thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate it.
Dr Mariana :

No problem!

Dr Mariana :

Good luck to you

Dr Mariana :

Dr Mariana Levy

Dr Mariana :

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button below for my answer.

Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience: Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.