Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience:  Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.
62821609

Why do I feel like I have tiny grains of sand inside my lower

Customer Question

Why do I feel like I have tiny grains of sand inside my lower lip and behind my teeth? Sometimes it even feels like I'm swallowing little pieces of sand even after I drink, brush, floss, rinse, it does not matter and it has been going on for over two days now. Any thoughts?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mariana replied 2 years ago.

Dr Mariana :

Hi, I am here to help you,

Dr Mariana :

The symptoms you are experiencing are compatible with "dry mouth"...

Dr Mariana :

There are many causes for dry mouth, local problems, like a problem with the salivary glands,

Dr Mariana :

medications can also cause it , although I have not find any references of dry mouth caused by iron supplements

Dr Mariana :

Dehydration can also cause it...

Dr Mariana :

Other underlying systemic problems can cause xerostomia.

Dr Mariana :

My advice is to first go to your dentist to confirm your problem and see if there is any local condition that can give you these symptoms...

Dr Mariana :

But I believe it is even more important to have a physician check up to rule out any medical problems

Dr Mariana :

I hope this helps!

Dr Mariana :

Dr Mariana Levy

Customer :

I guess a check up with my PCP wouldn't hurt, but I always seem to leave more confused then when I entered the visit. Most of my questions are often answered with vague responses and they typically do not seem to deal with the cause.

Dr Mariana :

I understand… but it is the first step to get to the bottom of it..

Dr Mariana :

sometimes things like stress can give you dry mouth symptoms..

Dr Mariana :

also smoking

Dr Mariana :

alcohol..

Dr Mariana :

and , of course, as you presupposed, dehydration...

Dr Mariana :

but sometimes there can be other conditions that can give the same symptoms

Dr Mariana :

These need to be ruled out

Dr Mariana :

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button below for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Dr Mariana :

Dr Mariana Levy