Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience:  Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.
62821609

I have an tiny white bump on my gum that looks like a pimple.

I have an tiny white bump on my gum that looks like a pimple. I have applied pressure and a tiny bit of blood came out. It reappeared after 2 weeks in the same spot. What could this be? I suffer from dry mouth because I only have 1 working saliva gland. Could this be caused by a lack of vitamin C ?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mariana replied 5 years ago.

Dr Mariana :

Hi, I am here to help you,

Dr Mariana :

The most likely answer to something that look like a pimple is that you have an abscess. A dental abscess occurs when the nerve of a tooth dies (usually because of a cavity or it may also happen because of a trauma to the tooth) and the nerve becomes infected due to bacterial invasion.

Dr Mariana :

If a tooth had a root canal, if the root canal fails it can also develop an abscess.

Dr Mariana :

There also abscesses that originate on the gum tissue, either superficially when , for example something (like a popcorn kernel) gets stuck on your gum, or it could involve the support tissue of the tooth.

Dr Mariana :

My advice is to have a consultation with your dentist to have an examination and an appropriate diagnosis.

Dr Mariana :

I hope this helps!

Dr Mariana :

Dr Mariana Levy

Dr Mariana :

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button below for my answer.