Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience:  Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.
62821609

I have two questions: 1) I have a red spot on my gum, and 2)

I have two questions: 1) I have a red spot on my gum, and 2) the back of my tongue is very white and has a few "blisters" (it is NOT Candida). My gum does NOT hurt. My tongue does NOT hurt.
I visited two dentists about these subjects. They cannot determine what the red spot is or how to get rid of it, and they feel that my tongue is "normal" (My tongue was NOT like this 3 months ago !). I have photos.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you paste the photos on this page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I can. I will try to do so now. One moment please.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long has the gum lesion been there? The dentists had no idea what this was?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The gum lesion has been there for about 10 months. It has not changed in size or color. The first dentist took an X-ray. He noticed my front teeth had a vertical "hairline crack" (I hit my teeth against a rock while Kayaking in a river). He mentioned it could be the effect of the trauma, but I do not believe so because the trauma took place 4 years ago. I visited another dentist, she said to gargle with "gelclair" (Novamed/Helsinn) - Which I did. But the red spot is still there. All dentists say to be carful not to hurt myself with the toothbrush - But this is not the problem ! - I use very soft tooth brushes, and I am careful.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--I'm going to have to opt out and let another expert help you here. Sorry for the delay, but if you'll be patient and not post any message for a few minutes, I'm sure another expert will respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hold on please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will wait - Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--just don't post anything because then the question comes back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to write to you again, but "nothing happened". How do I "revive" the process ? I think that after I send this message to you, maybe if I don't receive a reply from YOU, then the process gets "re-assigned" ? If not, please tell me how to proceed. Thank you, Alan
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for no one stepping in as yet. Try hitting "relist."
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a Moderator with Just Answer. I will find a Dentist to help you. Thank you for your continued patience:-)
Expert:  Dr. Mariana replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am here to help you,

1) Regarding the " red spot" in your gum> From the appearance of the lesion and the history of trauma, the most likely explanation is that it is a "fistula". This is a tract caused by an infection… like a tooth that received a trauma. I understand that the trauma was 4 years ago, but the tooth could have died after the trauma . My recommendation is to visit an endodontist (Root canal specialist) to determine if that tooth is vital (meaning that the nerve is alive or dead). Here is a link to find an endodontist close to your location:

http://www.aae.org/Patients/Find.aspx

2) Regarding the white tongue area:
You mentioned it is not Candida (I assume you were tested?) .. although that would be the most common problem.
One of the possibilities is that you have a "geographic tongue" This is a condition where you have whiter areas and some other "reddish areas" (although I could not see them in the pictures"… but I am thinking of it because you mention "blisters" … If the whitish areas changes place periodically you may have it. It is a benign condition, that requires no treatment and is related to vitamin deficiencies and sometimes to spicy foods and alcohol.
Another possibility could be a condition called "hairy tongue" where the tongue papilla does has a defective desquamation. It is usually not treated either, unless it gets over infected with Candida.
Smoking and Dehydration can cause a white tongue.
Most of the time a white tongue is usually temporary and harmless. However, it could be an indicator of an underlying condition.
Since you have been with this problem for quite sometime, my advice is to consult an oral pathologist, which is an specialist in soft tissues of the mouth. Here is a link to find one close to your location:

http://www.aaomp.org/find-an-omp/clinical-services.php?PHPSESSID=6a80ea713d5d6acd8df5535e5c318267

I hope this helps!

Dr Mariana Levy

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button below for my answer.

Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience: Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.