Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience:  Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.

my gums have turned purple! my dentist has said not to worry---is

my gums have turned purple! my dentist has said not to worry---is it time for a new dentist? thanxs
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Mariana replied 2 years ago.

Dr Mariana :

Dr Mariana :

Are you there?

Dr Mariana :

I am here to help you,

Customer:

yes

Dr Mariana :

I am assuming you are healthy and not taking any medications. The most common problem that can cause red gums, that can even be fiery red is plaque induced gingivitis. It is a plaque induced inflammation of the gums.. This should be taken cared of with a proper brushing technique. There are t coadjuvants such as mouth breathing that can make it owrse

Dr Mariana :

worse

Customer:

ok

Dr Mariana :

Something else that can make gingivitis worse is hormones. there have been studies that show that during certain times of the menstrual cycle , there is more incidence of gingivitis

Customer:

iwill try to answer as quick as possible--i am slow ha ha

Dr Mariana :

No problem!

Dr Mariana :

There are also some other conditions that can give you gingivitis… systemic conditions

Customer:

I do take a # XXXXX medications & have an extensive med history

Dr Mariana :

ok, can you tell me about them?

Customer:

shall i quit now ha ha continuing. . .

Dr Mariana :

oh, no!!1 tel me about it...

Customer:

IDDM for 44 yrs -- humalog by pump

Dr Mariana :

ok

Dr Mariana :

is it under control?

Customer:

levothy roxin-- low thyroid

Dr Mariana :

ok

Customer:

control comes and goes - last A1C- 8.o

Dr Mariana :

ok

Dr Mariana :

Sorry, it got disconnected :)

Dr Mariana :

Ok, let me ask you a question...

Customer:

have had heart attack + CABG, stroke - pretty much ok - some left side weakness, meds--aggronox,metoppranol,crestor,zetia, ramipril, isosorb mono (imdur),amlodipine, more. .

Dr Mariana :

ok...

Dr Mariana :

Let me ask you something: how did this particular episode started? did you notice it suddenly? what did the dentist said?

Customer:

furosemide, wellbutrin, lamictal,cymbalta,- all i've taken for some time, just started allopurinol for uric acid

Customer:

i was just brushing my teeth & pulled th gum way up cause i saw the purplke edge it was swollen & somewhat painful, some

Customer:

i should mention that about 2 wks prior i noticed bright red blood while brushing once up had bloodynose not normal - but have learned from exp not to panic

Dr Mariana :

ok

Customer:

i saw both FP doc + plus dentist no one alarmed

Dr Mariana :

Ok. the dentist put you on antibiotics… did he tell you why?

Customer:

since i had no current blood to see they prob thought i exsaurated (sorry)

Dr Mariana :

will the dentist follow up after the antibiotic course?

Dr Mariana :

did you make a follow up appointment?

Customer:

for amoxicillen dentist said will it make you feel better? meds haven't changed anything gum purple for about 10 days--haven't been i injured either just PRN follow

Dr Mariana :

ok...

Dr Mariana :

My advice is then to seek a second opinion after you finish with the suggested course… I am not sure what is the purpose of the antibiotic...

Customer:

i've had enough is this ok or not? i feel swept under the rug

Dr Mariana :

there are some gingivitis that are not related to plaque and sometimes are misdiagnosed

Customer:

thank you very much for the chat

Dr Mariana :

Hold on...

Customer:

i really do appreciate it

Dr Mariana :

I think you should go to an oral pathologist

Dr Mariana :

It is a type of dentist that specializes on this type of situation...

Dr Mariana :

Let me give you a link where you can locate one close to you

Customer:

ok is that like an oral surgeon with MD?

Dr Mariana :

It is a dentist that specialized in the soft tissues of the mouth

Dr Mariana :

The Society is called

Dr Mariana :

American Academy of Oral Pathology

Dr Mariana :

1-888-552-2667

Dr Mariana :

That is the number you can contact to ask them for an specialist

Dr Mariana :

this in another number

Dr Mariana : (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Dr Mariana :

My feeling is that you might have an allergic reaction from one of your medications that is causing this symptoms

Dr Mariana :

or

Dr Mariana :

Un underlying problem with this manifestation

Customer:

thank you very much iam calling now

Dr Mariana :

There is something called desquamative gingivitis, that can be caused by some mucocutaneous disorders that could be what you have

Dr Mariana :

You are very welcomed!!!

Dr Mariana :

Let me know how it went

Dr Mariana :

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button below for my answer.

Dr Mariana :

Is there anything else? Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

good answer!! ha ha how do i get back in touch?

Dr Mariana :

You can request me …LOL

Dr Mariana :

Good luck

Dr Mariana :

just put my name

Dr Mariana :

Dr Mariana Levy

Dr Mariana :

and I will get back to you

Dr Mariana :

you can also use this direct link

Dr Mariana :

http://www.justanswer.com/dental/expert-drmariana/

Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Experience: Orthodontist and Pediatric Dentist since 1990.
Hi! This is Dr Mariana. I was wondering how you were doing… Are your gums better?
I hope everything is fine!