Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 34 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had a root canal done on monday. How long does it take to

Customer Question

I had a root canal done on monday. How long does it take to recover from sensitivity? and how can you tell if the nerve was completely remove using a common self check method? Does having a temporary crown contribute to the sensitivity
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Care replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Care :

Hello,I hope I can be of service.

Dr. Care :

It

Dr. Care :

can take a up to a couple of weeks to settle down after a root canal.

Dr. Care :

Typically the only sense remaining in the tooth after any inflammation from treatment has settled is that of touch which comes from the area around the tooth and not the tooth itself. You should not notice any temperature sensitivity. A well fitted temporary crown should not add to the sensitivity.

Customer :

chewing has been a problem...

Customer :

it hurts to chew on that side of my mouth and the temporary crown is sitting over my gum. It is my first time getting a root canal

Dr. Care :

That is the typical type of sensitivity after a root canal. The area at the end of the root becomes sensitive because the nerve has been taken out of the tooth and hence separated from the bone area. It will take a short while for that the heal over. That is assuming the temporary is not high in the occlusion (bite).

Customer :

okay i guess i dont need to worry too much...How long does the sensitivity take to go away? I will try to chew on one side of my mouth

Dr. Care :

A couple of weeks should do it. It's best to take it easy on that side for a few days.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Care is correct..the other thing that you might want to consider though is the temporary.It sounds as if the temporary crown may be high and it should not be sitting over the gumline.These temporaries should be contoured so that food does not get trapped and should be adjusted so that your bite is comfortable.Your pain may be coming from the temporary crown itself.If the temporary has a highspot and is overlapping your gum..the pain will not go away by itself.Have your dentist adjust it so that it is comfortable when you bite.