Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

which is better sonicare air floss or waterpik? is backside

which is better sonicare air floss or waterpik? is backside of teeth flossed?

hoteego1 :

are you there?

Customer:

yes

hoteego1 :

Ok I'll try to answer your question.Both are good but my opinion is the waterpik does a better job

Customer:

Is flossing done on back side of teeth?

hoteego1 :

About 60% of my patients have peiodontal disease..the ones that use a waterpik seem to to do better than the others

hoteego1 :

You can floss all sides of the teeth but the purpose of the floss is to remove the debris between the contact points of the adjacent teeth

hoteego1 :

The waterpik produces a suction action in the pocket areas that some patients have and remove the bacteria there befor any more bone loss occurrs

Customer:

flossing is done on gums between teeth, what about gums in backside of teeth?

Customer:

Or is this not neccessary? or not a problem?

hoteego1 :

The backside of the teeth are normally cleaned with your toothbrush rotary or manual..that part of the tooth is more self cleansing because food is pushe across the surface and the saliva kind of bathes that surface

hoteego1 :

The waterpik though seems to do a great job in the pocket areas

Customer:

My dentist thinks manual flossing is better than waterpik. But does not think waterpik is effective? What do you think? I was thinking about buying waterpik?

hoteego1 :

The waterpik and flossing cannot be compared...your dentist is misinformed.Flossing is not really for your gums ..it is for breaking up the plaque that is trying to bridge itself between the teeth.By passing the floss through..you interrupt this process of plaque formation.The waterpik cannot remove this plaque bridge..it is for cleaning the pocket areas below the gums that are inaccessible with either your toothbrush or floss..Does that make sense?

hoteego1 :

If you do not have periodontal disease..flossing and brushing should really do the trick and you may not need the waterpik or the sonicaire.

Customer:

Periodontal disease is below the gum which I don't have & requires waterpik. All I need is manual flossing between teeth which waterpik does not do but is time consuming..

hoteego1 :

Brush and floss..save your money..you will probably get no added benefit of the waterpik if peiodontal disease is absent..Please click on the accept answer option unless you have some more concerns .

Customer:

Thanks. I'll accept