Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

What are the symptoms of a tooth infection- my jaw hurts like

What are the symptoms of a tooth infection- my jaw hurts like underneath where my molars would be but my teeth Dont hurt - I have an implant but it does not hurt when I press on bottom of tooth on both sides of my gums - so is this jaw pain tooth related
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 years ago.

hoteego1 :

The signs that a tooth is infected include but are not always present, swelling in the mouth ,jaw, cheek or face,..redness,fever, pain,looseness of the tooth,bad taste in the mouth,pain to heat, and pain to the tooth with biting pressure.

hoteego1 :

Have you had any work done in your mouth recently? Is the implant new?

hoteego1 :

Can you tell me how long the pain has been present?..And if you feel any swelling under your jaw or in your mouth?

Customer: I had it done In july no I don't notice swelling or pain around tooth
Customer: It started today
Customer: I don't have the crown in yet as I'm pregnant so I'm waiting till I have baby to Finnish up
hoteego1 :

Where exactly is your pain?

Customer: Just on my jaw
Customer: When I press I
hoteego1 :

Was something done recently in your mouth?

Customer: In one spot It's underneath where 2ndmolar would be
Customer: I had a facial yesterday
hoteego1 :

Does it hurt inside or outside of your mouth..have you had any dental work done recently?

Customer: No it doesn't and no
hoteego1 :

No it doesn't hurt inside or outside of your mouth..and you have not had any dental work that correct?Did your jaw start hurting after the facial and can you tell me where exactly your pain is if it isn't inside or outside of your mouth?

Customer: It's only outside I.
Customer: By jaw
Customer: I dint feel it before if it's a tooth infection how dangerous is it
hoteego1 :

Is the pain deep or does it feel like it is in your skin? Do you feel any lumps or swelling?

hoteego1 :

Tooth infections need to be treated.

hoteego1 :

How dangerous? Hard to say..some people walk around with tooth infections,some end up in the hospital, and yes on rare occasions the infection can spread through the body and cause serious complications but again those cases are rare.

Customer: Feels deep like a swollen lymph node
Customer: What can they do for me now since I'm pregnant
hoteego1 :

It is possible that your glands are swollen.That could come from having a virus.Do you feel ill or do you have a fever?

Customer: No fever but a cold
Customer: Negative strep
hoteego1 :

It depends on what is causing the swelling.If you have a virus or flu like symptoms and swollen glands..usually there is no treatment resolves itself.If you actually have an can be treated with antibiotics in most stages of the pregnancy..but the important thing is you need to find out what is causing the infection.

hoteego1 :

If your sinuses feel stuffy and you have a cold..the lymph glands under your jaw can become inflammed because infection from the sinus on that side will drain to the submandibular lymph nodes.I really need to see it to tell you for sure but any doctor could feel the glands and give you an evaluation.